chapter two

CAMILLA

I pick up the barrette and hiss as I accidentally prick my finger.

Is Lilah trying to get me hurt??

I examine it closely, it seems pretty old but still beautiful nonetheless. I slide my finger carefully across the top, being extra delicate near the pier.

I tuck it inside my purse. I don't know, I have a feeling it will be important, a little tingle in my stomach telling me something will happen.

I swallow my nerves down.

I stroll out of the alley and into the Main Street. It's dark since my wedding was supposed to be at nighttime.

It's a strange arrangement for a wedding, but neither Adam nor I did any of the wedding planning, it was only Adam's mother, Corinne Blair and her friends.

I get plenty of weird stares and cackles from old men asking me if I'll marry them instead.

I do my best to ignore their calls and everyone else's blatant stares.

I fucked myself up trying to survive this life, I'm not going to let a bunch of nobodies ruin me. Not this time.

I flag down a cab and go inside, with much struggle because of my dress. Finally, when I get all of the tulle and bright white garments inside, I turn and face the driver from the back seat.

He turns to face me.

It is a surprisingly young man, probably mid to late twenties, with cute dimples, messy brunette hair and a slight scruff of brown on the lower half of his face, adding a bit of a mature look to him.

"Hey, what're you? Are you a runaway bride?" He laughs, I sigh at him and look around uncomfortably, until he stops laughing.

"No kidding, huh?" He mutters, his accent slightly southern making him seem more sweet.

"Yes. Now can you just shut up about this? Please." I say stiffly, I can't take any more of this wedding shit, the marriage didn't even happen.

"Sorry." He looks down a bit and his dimples disappear. It's as if he got told off by his mother or something.

The fact that my stomach sinks when this man looks upset.

Shit. Why am I so evil?

He stays quiet for a while and I realise he took that "shut up" seriously. We stay parked at the edge of the road until I finally break the silence.

"I didn't mean that, you can... erm, talk and you know, drive?" I say with a smile that probably looks like a grimace instead.

His face lights up again, "Right, okay. Where to?" He asks.

"Misty Hills Cemetery, please," I reply, it was the first place that came to mind, and I swear his dimples crease harder in his face.

"That's cool. The one with the huge tree, yeah?" He responds and I nod in response.

"Nice, my grandma actually got buried there." He says and I widen my eyes.

"Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry!" I exclaim.

He laughs, "No it's all good, I didn't know her. She was a witch or something."

We stay in an awkward silence for a few moments before he finally speaks again. I mentally groan he is one of those people who can never shut up.