Chapter Fifty-Nathan

Nathan regained consciousness as he heard a furious growl. He opened his eyes to see a russet colored wolf rip off Anton's head. The wolf spit it out and stalked towards the vampires standing over Nathan. For a moment he felt fear until he saw the wolf's eyes, it was Paige. Paige had shifted she had the most beautiful wolf. He scrambled out of the way as she jumped at the vampires. They were too shocked to move. As she tore of the head of the one she was on the others seemed to gain awareness and began to run. She started to run after them but Nathan called out to her. He couldn't have her running angry through the city.

"Paige!" He didn't know her wolf's name yet. She turned back to him and saw him still laying on the ground. She bounded back down the alley and stopped in front of him. She put her head to his chest and let out a soft whine. Nathan reached up and stroked her fur.

"Hello beautiful girl." The wolf chirped at his voice. "I've been waiting for you." The wolf whined again as if to say 'Me too!'. "Can you shift back? I don't have Malcolm right now and I need to talk to Paige." Nathan tried to reach Malcolm but couldn't find him. It worried him and he couldn't but he needed to focus on Paige and her wolf right now.

"What the fuck?" Lennette and Thomas came running around the corner and stopped upon seeing Paige. Paige's wolf immediately started growling and turned to them, standing over Nathan in a protective stance.

Nathan reached up to her and stroked her fur again. "It's alright. It's just Lennette and Thomas. You remember Lennette right? And Thomas? We just met Thomas tonight. Remember?" The wolf kept eyeing the two but stopped growling.

"Is that Paige?" Lennette asked.

"It's her wolf. I don't know her name yet because Malcolm can't talk to her."

"Why not?" Thomas asked.

"My drink was dosed with wolfsbane."

"Shit!" Thomas took out his phone and made a call, he spoke quickly and quietly. Nathan didn't listen as he focused on keeping Paige's wolf calm.

"Okay," Thomas said as he hung up. "I've spoken to the president of the London unpacked. He's going to contact the council to send a clean up team and some medics for you both. She needs to shift back before they get here though."

"It's her first shift and she feels that she and her mate are threatened. I don't know if her wolf will let her." Nathan kept his hands on her, hoping that his touch would keep her calm.

"She has to or the will tranquilize her. There's no shifting in city limits unless your own your own property. You got to calm her down and get her to shift."

Nathan reached up and pulled the wolf's face to his. "Beautiful girl, you've got to give Paige back control. You need to shift back before the medics get here." She turned her face towards Thomas and Lennette as if you say 'What about them?'

"Lennette is your friend and Thomas is a good male. You felt this when we met him. They're not going to hurt us. Can you shift back?" The wolf turned her head back to Nathan and looked in his eyes. He felt like Paige was now looking out at him, asking what to do.

"It's okay, Paige. Just relax and let it happen. Your wolf knows what to do." She whined slightly, still unsure. "Mariquil. Mariquil. It's okay, you're safe. Mariquil." He kept whispering it to her as he stroked her fur. The wolf closed its eyes and let out a huff. In the blink of an eye, Paige was sitting before him.

"Nathan?" she asked. She sounded exhausted. First shifts were always taxing.

"It's okay, love. You're okay." He lifted his hand to her cheek.

"Your arm!" She cried. It had been broken in the fight.

"It's okay, I'm fine, it will heal."

"I'm so tired." She collapsed on his chest.