Chapter Twenty-Nine

ANNALISE 

The way Zane just bolted out of school to escape Joslyn’s claws was priceless. Poor guy really wants to make things work with him and me. I’m not saying that I don’t want to make things work at this point. Dang guy is built like a tank and has grown emotions beyond thinking with his favorite appendage for once. So now, Larrisa and I are growing to care for him.

I’m not exaggerating when I say that Zane is built like a tank. As a Gamma, it’s in his genes to grow over seven feet tall and at this point he’s damn near seven feet tall, already at six feet eleven inches. He’s bulky, with ripped muscles that could make any woman swoon. He could pass for Chris Hemsworth’s identical twin, I suppose, but a younger bulkier version of him. His attitude towards me and women in general has always been a turnoff for me, but now that he’s changing, I can see that the man is stacked and hotter than hell.

Slamming my locker shut, I glare at Joslyn as I pass her fuming state of anger at being rejected, then giggle as I run out of the exit to catch up to my man. Who would have guessed that I, the pack freak, would be destined to be with not just one, but three of the most sought after future leaders of the pack? It would be nice if Zane would just tell everyone we’re mates already. That would seriously get my hormones skittering all over the place.

Glancing towards the forest, I see Janus has taken over and he and Zane are going for a run. Sighing with annoyance, I went off on my own and go deeper into the forest so I could be alone and shift myself. Maybe even have a few moments to rest in Dante’s and my humble abode. He and I spend what little time we’ve gotten together there instead of at home.

***

The time alone and the short run Larissa and I had together been much needed. Will I ever be able to have moments alone after I’m mated, marked, and have had pups? I might very well go nuts.

What happens if I decide to mark and mate with all four of my fated mates? Am I to have pups for all four? Why the hell am I even thinking of all of this right now? I’m only sixteen years old. Oh, that’s right, my impending heat is right over the horizon. A month has passed and there is a full moon tonight. I’ve been feeling feverish since I woke up this morning. I had hoped that I would come out of all this unscathed, but I know it’s not my lot in life.

Deciding to find my mother and tell her what’s going on, I search the mansion until I find her preparing for training in her room.

“Momma.”

She glances up from the mirror as she ties her thick, dark brunette hair up into a bun with a scrunchy and smiles. “Hi, sweetheart. You really must be preparing for training, you will be late. What’s wrong? I know that look from anywhere.”

“Well, it’s been a month since I found my mates. Nothing has been normal up to this point, you know. I thought since I’m too young I wouldn’t go through my heat. But I have been feeling feverish all day. I’ve not decided yet if I want to mate and mark Dante or Zane yet. If my heat comes, I won’t have a choice. I’ll want and need them all to mate and mark me. I’m scared honestly and I don’t know what to do. With Dante, especially because we hardly know each other, and Zane has changed, but he’s always been such a brute.”

Her eyes glaze over, so I know she is most likely sending a mind link to my father, and I huff with annoyance. Why couldn’t this stay between her and I? She blinks to clear the fog, rises and pats the bed beside her as she sits.

“We won’t be going to training today. It’s time we had a talk. Like you, I was hoping you wouldn’t get your heat until later on down the road. But we don’t always get what we want, do we?”