𝟎𝟏𝟑. don't ever run from me again

chapter thirteen
don't ever run from me again

Avery Spade's eyes slowly fluttered open. The room was dark and dreary and she could hear the rain pouring down once again. She was back in a room at the cabin.

She remembered Coriolanus trying to kill her. She remembered running from him and him finding her threateningly. She remembered hurting her ankle and then hitting her head really hard.

Coriolanus had to be the reason she was here. How else would she get back without him? Avery imagined him carrying her motionless body in his arms through the woods. The thought made her shiver, yet also blush.

She was on a surprisingly soft bed. Avery sat up and looked around, seeing the familiar log walls. The door was closed.

Avery went to get up, but throbbing pain in her ankle and now her feet restricted her from moving in a painless way.

She pushed herself back onto the bed, thinking of the first name to call for help despite their... argument.

"Coryo!" Avery shouted.

No response.

"CORYO!"

There was a sound of a lock unlocking. Had Coriolanus locked Avery in here?! There was a creak, and Coriolanus's tall blonde figure stood in the doorway.

"You're awake."

A soft orange fabric was thrown onto her bed. Coriolanus looked at her almost emotionless. Avery knew this was a mask because Coriolanus Snow is full of many emotions. "Take it back."

She sighed. He still didn't believe her. "Coryo, I was going to get it after I dropped it in the woods."

He shut the door behind him. "I'm sorry, Avery. But we still need to have a conversation. I've given you everything, including a better life, and you set a trap for me to die at."

Avery was not even remotely happy with Coriolanus right now or ok with what he was saying to her.

"I didn't set a trap! And Coryo, have you really given me a better life? I've lost family and friends and I became a suspect of murder. I've had to leave my remaining sisters, friends, and family behind in District 12," Avery rampaged.

Coriolanus looked down in a bit of shame but then picked his head up confidently. "Without me, you'd be dead."

Was Avery nothing to him?

"Maybe it's for the best. They're going to find us out here and kill us anyways."

His expression angered even more as his finger tips traced Avery's unflawed jawline. "Don't say that. Don't ever say that again."

Avery looked into his blue eyes. They never failed to put her into a trance.

"I think you forgot that I am of the Capitol. I was sent here as a temporary punishment."

Avery couldn't imagine Coriolanus being a loyal and twisted Capitol citizen like the rest of them. He cared for Lucy Gray in the arena and even risked cheating to help her survive. Aside from some of his actions recently, Coriolanus had showed empathy to her. He left his station as a Peacekeeper to run away and protect her.