𝟎𝟏𝟒. guilty

chapter fourteen
guilty

Avery Spade made it onto the porch of the cabin despite her massive struggle to even get off the chair she was sitting on.

She could see the lake from where she sat. She assumed that Coriolanus was going to dispose of the murder weapon there.

Avery seemed to be correct, because she saw his tall figure pacing in front of the dock. He wrapped a grey cloth around the weapon and began to board the small boat that was out the dock.

The girl watched impatiently as Coriolanus rowed out to about the middle of the lake. He looked around as if someone was watching them and ready to report them immediately. He took a deep breath and lowered the gun into the water.

The weapon sunk into the depths of the lake, never to be seen again. There was no more evidence of Coriolanus's murders.

Mayfair Lipp was forgotten in those waters. The cause of her death was blamed on Sejanus, an innocent Peacekeper, and on a deeper level, a forgotten district boy. He may have become Capitol, but part of him will always be back in District 2.

Avery still mourned the loss of someone she grew to consider a friend. She felt even worse when she realized that Coriolanus was likely the cause of his death.

Likely. Coriolanus was the cause of his death. She was sure of it. He was one of the only people who could have the knowledge of Sejanus's traitory.

And when she asked who he killed... Coriolanus covered it up in a flawed and obvious way. It was clear that he killed an actual person and just didn't want to own up to it in front of her.

How could Coryo do that to his own best friend? In a way, she understood his other murders. Bobbin was killed in a form of self defense. Mayfair was a questionable kill. He did it because that was his duty as a Peacekeeper and Avery kept forgetting that it's what he's in District 12 for. He's there to prevent rebellion, not to be with her.

Everyone wants the Hunger Games to end. Everyone wants the Capitol to burn.

Every District citizen wants the same thing, but only some are brave enough to express it. Mayfair was going to tell her father about what she saw, and if she did that everyone in the room would be executed. Avery wanted to believe that Coriolanus did that partially to protect Sejanus, but none of it mattered in the end.

Sejanus is dead.

Avery's heartbeat intensified once again. As she thought about it more, Coriolanus was a true murderer. Yet, the thought of him still pleased her.

Coriolanus is a killer.

But he's so perfect.

Avery's internal battle came to a rapid stop when she realized Coriolanus was beginning to head towards the cabin.

He climbed out of the boat, his expression consisting of satisfaction. Was she still his loose end?

Coriolanus was walking across the dock and now he was walking down the path towards the cabin. Avery realized that he would be able to tell that she was spying on him.

She scrambled off the porch. She hissed in pain as she opened the door, but managed to throw herself onto the old couch as footsteps neared the front door.

Coriolanus opened the door and looked around until his icy eyes found her. Avery awaited what he was going to say anxiously.

"Avery. I know you were watching me."

Her face grew pink realizing that Coriolanus saw her intensely watching him from afar. "I don't know what you're talking about."

He chuckled, making his way over to the couch until he stood almost directly in front of her. "You're cute when you try to lie."

It was even harder for Avery to remain calm when he was calling her cute. She knew the fact that she was lying was probably crystal clear. Avery's never been a good liar.

"Funny for you to say," she sweetly mumbled, remembering how Coryo tried to lie about his third kill.

His head perked up in alert. "What did you say?"

"Nothing."

Coriolanus suddenly took a seat beside her. Avery faced forward. She suddenly felt a cold hand on her back. It drew circles on her skin until it stopped and rested there.

Avery looked over at Coriolanus as her heart skipped a beat. The easing came back to her with his touch. She felt like she was in heaven.

"You can tell me, Av."

"I swear, Coryo. I didn't say anything..."

He slightly smirked. Coriolanus didn't break eye contact once. "I know you did, Avery. And I heard you. I just wanted to see if you'd tell me the truth."

Avery felt a slight panic arise in her.

"We're supposed to trust each other, Avery. Which means you'll tell me next time." Coriolanus was demanding when he spoke.

His hand moved from her back to her hip as her whole body faced him. "You think I killed Sejanus."

Avery nodded silently, slightly flinching as if she already could feel his anger bubbling up inside of him.

Coriolanus chuckled. "You can speak, sweetheart. I don't bite."

"Coryo, I don't know what you want me to say..."

His smirk dropped before looking down. Coriolanus looked back into her eyes honestly. "I really am responsible for his death. I feel guilty, Avery. I snitched on him in a way I didn't think would cause him death. But it did."

Avery felt betrayed at the confession. Coriolanus killed his own best friend who also happened to be her friend. He sent Sejanus to his death.

Part of her was also appreciative at his honesty. She never expected Coriolanus to confess to the murder. He truly trusted her if he was telling her this.

Tests still threatened to fall from her eyes. "Coryo, he didn't deserve to die," Avery spoke in a whisper.

He nodded in agreement as he hushed her. Avery looked down in pain, but Coriolanus grabbed her chin gently and forced it upwards.

"You're not going to tell anyone. You're my only loose end, Avery Spade."

She nodded as pressed her forehead against his and closed her eyes.