𝟎𝟏𝟔. the capitol

chapter sixteen
the capitol

Both Coriolanus and Avery were surprised that she was able to get on the hovercraft to the Capitol. Coriolanus informed the pilot that it was strict orders from the Capitol to bring Avery Spade with him. It was a lie, but Coriolanus gets whatever he wants.

As soon as the hovercraft arrived at the Capitol, Coriolanus almost pulled Avery's arm off by dragging her so quickly throughout the endless buildings.

Avery had no idea what part of the Capitol she was even in. The only thing she saw was luxury. She could tell that there were still minor fixes to be made from the damage of the war, but everything was flawless and gigantic compared to the districts. This is the life she's longed for all along.

White is a prevalent color, and buildings rose up in the distance. Avery felt terror run through her body the second she saw a Capitol citizen.

She could be killed at any moment. This had to be unheard of- a girl escaping from the districts to go to the Capitol.

Avery kept repeating the same reassuring words in her head. Coryo will protect me. Coryo will protect me. Coryo will protect me.

She was led into an apartment, which she would later know as the Snow penthouse. Avery didn't ask questions, she just followed.

Avery knew it was safe to speak when Coriolanus finally stopped her behind a closed bedroom door. She panted heavily, her neck being lined with nervous sweat.

"Is this your home?"

He nodded. "You're here. You're safe." It wasn't much of an answer, but Avery took it as a yes.

Avery looked around. Coriolanus claimed that they were rich, but nothing looked elegant or fancy. If anything it looked as if they were poor. Has he been lying? He looked as if he could tell her thoughts based off her expression.

"What now?"

"I have to tell Gaul of your presence, or else she'll kill me for lying to her. I can't promise that she'll be ok with all of this."

Avery sighed, knowing her fate could be dying at the hands of the Capitol. "I trust you, Coryo. I always will."

He planted a kiss on her forehead. "Good. I'll be back. Do not go anywhere but my room, understand?"

Avery nodded, leaving her future in Coriolanus's hands as he exited the room and shut the door. She hoped Gaul would let her be with Coriolanus.

Coriolanus made his way to Doctor Gaul's laboratory. He spotted her with her crazed eyes and blood stained coat.

She was surrounded by her mutts, and a pool with some creature swirling around in it. Coriolanus held his helmet at his side and stood tall in full Peacekeeper uniform. He stood with confidence and good posture.

"You've passed all of my tests. I've asked for President Ravinstill to grant you a full pardon."

Coriolanus felt a stab in his heart. Gaul was offering him all he's ever wanted to accomplish, but he had no way of accepting her offer. He cant afford University. Or so he thought.

"Mr. Strabo Plinth has offered to pay for everything you need while you're there. But before I take you under my wing, let me ask you one final time: what are the Hunger Games for?"

Endless thoughts raced through Coriolanus Snow's mind. Sejanus's father was going to provide him his future and lots of wealth and he didn't even know that Coriolanus killed his own son. He did what he needed to do, but he felt bad for the Plinth's naiveness.

Coriolanus was ready to give up sympathy for the districts. He was ready to live the future he was always meant to live. But what about Avery? Coriolanus has always been set on his goals, and one of his goals is to have ultimate power.

He didn't want to leave her. In fact, he wanted her by his side, always. They're too far intertwined, he knew that he wouldn't let her leave even if she wanted to. Coriolanus is Avery's and Avery is Coriolanus's.

Coriolanus kept his serious composure for her. "To remind us all who we truly are."

Gaul creepily grinned. "And who are you?"

"The Victor," he replied with a slight smirk. He is the victor. The districts aren't the victor, nor is Lucy Gray.

"Welcome home, Mr. Snow."

Everything was great. He was back home. He has power. He has Avery.

Until Gaul continued. "There is only one issue that has come to my attention. I have been informed that you brought a district girl to the Capitol with 'my permission'."

He kept his cool, but freaked out in his mind. Avery is causing problems for his future and his life at the Capitol. But he knew that he wouldn't be able to let her go- she is engraved in every part of his mind. It's a problem. Coriolanus knows that he should of left his obsession back in the districts, but he can't let her die either.

"Doctor Gaul, I assure you that she will be no harm. I will make sure she stays in line."

"Tell me, Coriolanus Snow, why is someone form the districts this important to you?"

Coriolanus struggled for words. "I don't know, Doctor. She has this pure beautifulness and-"

Doctor Gaul laughed manically. "I don't want to hear all about your sappy love story! I could kill her, but I know that you're a very focused man, Coriolanus. Keep her in line, and we'll see..."

He nodded obediently.

Coriolanus succeeded in everything.

His family would be wealthy once again and he would be studying at the university. Avery would be in his in the Capitol.

Everything went according to plan. The Snow legacy will rise up once again, and Coriolanus will rise up with it. The Capitol will be under his influence, and Panem will eventually be in his control, along within everything else he desires.

Including Avery.