Chapter 48

Forgotten Juliet - Chapter 48

Her head was throbbing intolerably.

“Be quiet.”

Juliet whispered to soothe the butterflies.

“…Is that man part of the merchant group as well?”

“Yeah, let me introduce you. Eshel!”

When Helen called, a man named Eshel jumped off the carriage and slowly approached them.

“This is our magician, Eshelrid. He’s a hidden gem.”

When Helen introduced the man, curious olive-green eyes turned toward Juliet.

He politely offered a handshake to Juliet.

“My name is Eshelrid.”

“I’m Juliet.”

It wasn’t strange for a merchant group to have a magician.

Though he looked too young to be a magician, they were in the east, and the Magic Tower was at the end of the east.

For a merchant group that had to traverse the unpredictable forest road, a magician was a great asset.

She’d heard that in the east, instead of hiring mercenaries, they often hired magicians to counter potential thief attacks during their journey.

Of course, the rarity of magicians was about a hundred times that of a typical knight, so Juliet assumed that hiring him wouldn’t be cheap.

Externally, she acted as if it was no big deal, but as Juliet lightly held out her hand to shake Eshel’s, she was a bit tense.

The magicians she had met were all court magicians.

They fit the common image of a ‘magician.’

Court magicians were generally old men who wore fancy robes, grew white beards, and mostly stayed in the underground chambers of the palace.

Their job was mainly to put on a serious firework show during big events like the New Year’s ceremony, once or twice a year.

“Never be alone with a magician. It’s dangerous.”

Despite Lennox’s warning, Juliet didn’t feel much threat.

She often wondered whenever she watched the court magicians putting on a firework show from a distance, ‘Is that the only magic they know how to do?’

“Don’t let your demons be discovered by a magician.”

Lennox added to Juliet.

His explanation was intuitive.

The butterflies basically feed on human emotions, but human emotional energy is actually similar in nature to magic.

Like diluted magic, so to speak.

Therefore, when meeting magicians who have abundant magic, her butterflies would want to have a real feast, as he explained.

But if that’s the case, shouldn’t magicians be afraid of her, not the other way around?

When she asked this, Lennox smiled faintly.

“Those guys would throw a companion as bait in front of you just to have a chance to dissect you.”

In other words, don’t act carelessly if you don’t want to become a rare experimental material.

Indeed, Lennox kept Juliet from even moving in the presence of a magician due to his territory’s affairs several times.