PART III. | RESPECT IS TAKEN, NOT EARNED

NOT EARNED
PHENYA

                        THE CAMP GROUNDS ARE LARGER THAN I ANTICIPATED. Eso gave me a good and thorough tour of the grounds that lasted for over an hour.  It's a large circle that wraps around the dining hall and laundry building. At the entrance is the office building, also where the General's apartment is on the second floor. The soldiers dorms are to the left, one building for men not of power, one building for Anvre men, and the third building for women.

The pathway opens to the training field then, a massive patch of earth that has clearly been razed in every Anvre way. The large building to the right of the field is the training building and infirmary, the perfect mix of war and peace hidden behind wooden walls.

Our dormitory building is to the right of the dining hall. The first floor of the building is the library, study grounds, and the poison room. Eso so proudly told me that a woman runs the poison room, a Kalda Tretsbin, his younger sister who is the same age as me.  That was also the moment I found out Eso is two years older than me at the age of twenty-three.  The second floor is where the lieutenant's stay, where I will be staying almost directly above the poisons room, Eso so delightfully pointed out.

            "I know you'll find your way around fine.  The General is still working on a schedule for you, though," Eso says as we walk up the stairs on the left side of our building leading to the dorms.

            "Schedule?" I question.

            Every military camp works differently, as stupid as it is.  I've dug up enough information on this camp to know exactly how it works, and I know exactly how the General works, too.  Eso, while a skilled bludskor, has no control over his nervous body movements.  The way his middle finger and thumb tap together, the way he blinks quicker than usual when we make eye contact.  He's hiding something, something the General doesn't want me to know—not yet at least.

            We reach a small porch at the doorway of the lieutenant dorms.  Eso opens the door for me, holding it open with a smile.  I step inside to find us back in the small living room.  A couch pushed against the far wall, a radio on a table beside the large window, two love seats beside the door, and a low-standing table in the center of the room.

            "You need to dust more," I sigh, looking up at the light fixture covered in dust and cobwebs.

            "One of our many chores we tend to forget more than finish," Eso admits with an awkward chuckle.  "If you need help with anything, let me know.  I'll come get you when it's time for dinner."