PART IV. | TRUSTWORTHY

PHENYA

                        WATCHING THE ANVRE TRAIN TOGETHER WAS PAINFUL.  While most of them do hold great potential in their harnessing abilities, the rest of them are as easy to kill as gnats.  Some of them almost seem scared of their own power.  I was once in their shoes, but they have long overrun their time to wallow in that fear.

Tomorrow is the first day I will lead training and I intend to break them down completely.  The only way to properly fix a persons weakness is to break them down and rebuild with the new pieces.

My meeting with the other two lieutenant's and the General is just minutes away.  I'm sitting at my desk, staring at the picture of my mother and I.  She saw the good in people, even if they had more evil than good.  I wish I was more like her, I wish people knew me as Perciaiva Onsrrim's daughter, not Edvak's.

"Phenya, you ready?" Eso asks as he quickly walks down the hallway.

"Yes, I'm coming," I sigh, nodding my head as I stand up.

He and I walk down to the main building together, Eso holding the door open for me.  The first room is almost like a receptionists office with a desk to the right of the doorway, the wall of mail slots directly across from the door, and a door that must lead upstairs to the second floor to the left of the mail slots.  There's a hallway between the desk area and mail slots, a thin one that looks to turn to the right and lead to a wider one.

There are a few military propaganda sign's tacked to the walls.  One catches my eye as Eso leads me down the hallway.  "Varidun the vile, they are the enemy" it says in thick, black letters, a beheaded snake beneath the text.  I rip it off the wall, making Eso turn to look at me as I toss it into the trash bin beside the desk.

He doesn't say anything but continues to walk.  At the end of the hallway, the first door says "General's Office" on the glass pane.  Instead of knocking on the door like I expect him to, Eso turns to start walking down the wider hallway to the right.

It's a hallway that runs down the length of the building.  There are many closed doors we pass by, some with locks on the outside that must contain cells.  Very few are labeled, one being the door Eso stops at.  "Interrogation Room 2" it reads in black lettering on the wood.

He opens the door to show the General and Kadrick sitting at a table in the center of the small room.  There's a mirror behind them, but I quickly realize it's one of those new special mirrors I've heard about.  The one-way window that looks like a mirror on one side, and the other side is a perfect window.