5

"I'm Dr. Allen." I lie to my sister, I lied straight to my sister's face. I knew she recognized me without my brown hair and beauty mark, but I still chose to lie to her.

"Dr. Allen?" Lauren questioned shaking my hand slowly. It felt too long, she wouldn't let go and I think everyone noticed it.

"Yep..." I sighed softly looking back at the young boy on the table sleeping. It was 5:30 am I want to be sleeping as well.

"I need an intern today." Dr. Moore told Bailey but was still staring at me. Please don't make this happen to me.

"Uhm Dr. Stev-" Bailey got cut off as she picked Izzie to help Lauren.

"I'll take Dr. Allen." Lauren tossed me his chart to read through as the rest of my residency left the room. As I was reading his chart Lauren went over to shut the door.

"What the actual hell Lucy? Or should I say Dr. Allen?" Lauren whisper shouted as she walked away from the door. She was more confused than mad.

"Lauren is this really the time?" I slammed the binder shut letting out my anger on the binder. I can't actually believe this! I need to think of someone to blame! Richard Webber! Why did he bring her in? He knows that I'm a fat liar but he vowed to keep my secret! This is not keeping my secret!

"He's asleep. This is the most private place we can possibly be." Lauren said as I began checking his vitals being careful not to wake him.

"Why are you here? Mayo the best hospital on the planet wasn't good enough for you?" I asked whisper shouting back. I had no right to be mad, she was doing her job. She was doing what is best for her.

"I'm a doctor, same reason as you Dr. Allen. Hey Tyler, I'm Dr. Moore and this is Dr. Allen she will be helping us today. Dr. Allen tell me about Tyler's tumor." Lauren lowered her tone as the little boy started to walk up. She know that she was here because she wasn't number one at Mayo, and she always has to be number one.

"Tyler Harrison a 7-year-old boy with a brainstem tumor. The tumor is wrapped around the brainstem and is causing a lot of pressure on the brain. The patient's tumor is a rare type of brainstem tumor called a medulloblastoma." I dont why but I was trying my hardest to impress my sister, I can't impress my father so I can impress her. I do know that I was very sad for his little boy, this is a tumor that grows fast.

"What surgery am I gonna perform to remove it?" Lauren asked while I checked the little brown haired boys pulse. He looked so tired, he's had radiation and chemotherapy but nothing is helping. The tumor won't stop growing and the only way to remove it is...

"An occipital craniotomy to gain access to the tumor. After that, you would use stereotactic neuronavigation to locate the tumor and carefully remove it hopefully without damaging the brainstem." I explained really fast to Lauren and his mom. His mom looked even more tired than Tyler, but she was trying to hold on for her son.

"I'll schedule it for later today, you can scrub in." Lauren sighed as she left the room after taking one more look at Tyler. We both felt bad for him, he didn't deserve this. Sadly it's passed down through genetics nothing we can do about it.

"Dr. Allen, can we talk in the hallway?" The hurting mom questioned getting off her knees to face me. She was wearing a brown shirt with stains, and her hair was in a messy bun.

"Yes, yeah let's go." I say smiling at Tyler one last time before I left with his mom for the hallway. She crossed her arms and when she looked down tears fell down her cheeks.

"Another doctor told me the risk of this surgery, but if I'm being completely honest I was too busy overthinking to actually listen. Could you go over them with me? I'm sorry for wasting your time I just I don't want Tyler to hear." She fought back the tears like I would judge her or something. I felt so bad for her, I always get to involved with my patients. That's why I can't lose this one.

"Of course, it's okay. Some of the risk include stroke, seizures, swelling of the brain, nerve damage, cerebrospinal fluid leak, blood clots, loss of some mental functions, and death is one. But I can assure you that Dr. Moore is the best at what she does, and if she thinks she can't do it she will stop. I know this is a lot, I'm very sorry." I couldn't stop myself from reaching out and putting my hand on her shoulder. She was crying, and I'm human. Even if every older doctor has advised me to not get involved with my patients, I'm human.

"No, I want this. My baby needs this." The woman wiped her tears and went back into Tyler's room. I watched as she hugged him, it made me try to remember the last time I hugged my mom. I can't. This reminded me that I left Massachusetts for a fresh start and Lauren is my favorite part of Massachusetts but she's still holding me back by being here.

I walk to the Chief office since I need someone to talk to about this. He knows that I'm a liar, but he swore to not tell anybody but then he brings my sister in?

"Lucy! It's great to see you. What brings you in?" Richard asked as if he didn't just ruin my fresh start, what I've been working on for six months straight.

"Chief, You did this on purpose you knew I was lying about my real life and you brought her in!" I didn't want to admit it but I was yelling at my boss, actually I was yelling at my bosses, bosses, boss. What was I thinking?

"I brought her in cause she good at what she does. You of all people should know that." Richard kept his cool with me, he knew I was struggling here.

I was doing nothing..I'm in a hospital and I'm doing nothing. I have nothing to do, I don't have to scrub in for another 2 hours. I found George laying in an empty stretcher so I sat down by his legs.

I didn't say anything I just thought how Lauren Moore is my older sister, one of the best doctors at what does. She isn't ashamed of who she is, she isn't hiding behind a fake last name. Who is Lucy Allen? She's a fake blonde, who has no family only money and stress.

I'm Lucy Moore. The girl whose dad is one of the best neurosurgeons ever, the girl who everyone knows her family, the girl who's dad was behind the big harvard scandal, the girl who's a natural brunette, the girl who has a beauty mark, the girl who nobody knows anymore.

1199 words
"I've never heard silence quite this loud"