Chapter 5 - with you I fall down

Taylor's POV

"Come to bed," Travis said walking into the living room, It was nearly midnight and I was exhausted,

Travis's words tugged at my tiredness, but the concern for her lingered in my mind. I glanced towards her room, the light seeping from under the door signaling that she was still awake.

"I just want to make sure she's alright," I murmured, torn between my exhaustion and the sense of responsibility I felt towards her.

Travis sat down beside me, his hand finding mine. "You've done everything you could today. She knows you're here for her, but you need rest too."

His words carried a weight of understanding, and I relented with a sigh. "Okay, I'll be there in a minute."

He pressed a gentle kiss to my forehead before heading to our bedroom, leaving me with a sense of guilt for feeling torn between my weariness and her potential need for comfort.

Taking a moment to check on her through the slightly ajar door, I found her lying on the bed, softly tapping on her laptop. She glanced up, offering a faint smile before returning her attention to the screen.

"Head to bed soon please," I said before closing the door,

Satisfied that she was occupied, I slipped into our bedroom, the weariness of the day finally catching up to me. The softness of the bed welcomed me, and I closed my eyes, allowing the tranquillity of sleep to envelop me.

I awoke to the sound of a scream.

I rushed out of my bed and into Alexia's room with travis following closely behind me, I opened the door and ran over to her, she was sat up in her bed crying and hyperventilating,

Travis's POV

I watched from the door as taylor held the crying girl,

"Shhh, You're okay, I am right here, nothing is going to happen to you," Taylor said quietly to her while stroking her hair,

As Taylor held her close, I could see the raw fear etched on Alexia's face. It was heartbreaking to witness her in such distress. I stepped closer, walking over and sitting by the side of the bed,

I placed my hand onto Taylor's leg.

"Alexia, it's okay. You're safe here," I reassured her, my voice calm but filled with concern. I wished I could erase whatever nightmare or memory was haunting her, to bring her the comfort she desperately needed.

Taylor's soothing words seemed to have a calming effect as Alexia's breathing gradually steadied, the tears subsiding into quiet sobs. Taylor kept her hold gentle and comforting, offering a sense of security in that moment of vulnerability.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Taylor asked softly, her voice a gentle melody in the dimly lit room.

Alexia hesitated, her eyes still brimming with residual fear. "I... I don't want to bother you," she managed to say between shaky breaths.

"You're not bothering us. We care about you," I added, stepping closer to the bed. "We want to help, if you'll let us."

She glanced between us, the turmoil in her expression evident. Slowly, she started recounting the fragments of the nightmare that had shaken her awake.

The nightmare was about her parents, she recalled the dream perfectly, she could see the car driving straight into her parents car. Her voice quivered as she described the vivid images that had plagued her sleep.

Listening to her retelling of the distressing dream, Taylor's grip tightened protectively around her. "It's over now. You're here, with us. It was just a dream," Taylor reassured her, her voice a soothing balm.

I sat down on the edge of the bed, offering a reassuring smile. "Nightmares can be really frightening, but they can't hurt you. You're safe."

She nodded, wiping away the last of her tears, her breathing slowly returning to normal. "I'm sorry for waking you both up," she murmured, a hint of embarrassment coloring her cheeks.

"Don't apologize," Taylor said firmly. "We're not bothered as long as you are okay."

Taylor's assurance seemed to ease some of Alexia's distress. She let out a shaky breath, nodding in acknowledgment. "Thank you, both of you," she managed, her voice still trembling with the remnants of fear.

"Anytime. We're here for you," I reassured her, exchanging a supportive glance with Taylor. The vulnerability she showed only deepened our commitment to make her feel safe and cared for in our home.

As the tension gradually dissipated from the room, Alexia seemed to relax slightly. Taylor continued to stroke her hair, providing a comforting presence.

"Would you like a glass of water or anything else?" I offered, wanting to provide any small comfort that might help her settle back into a more peaceful state.

She shook her head softly. "No, I think I'll try to get some more sleep," she replied, offering a faint but genuine smile.

"Take your time. We'll be right here if you need anything," Taylor said, her voice filled with genuine concern.

After a few moments, Alexia lay back down, Taylor pulling the covers up to her chin and tucking her into bed. We lingered by her bedside for a while, making sure she felt a sense of security before quietly leaving the room.

Back in our bedroom, Taylor and I sat on the edge of our bed, the weight of the night's events settling between us. The concern for Alexia lingered, mingled with a desire to offer her the support she needed.

"I hope she can rest now," Taylor whispered, her gaze fixed on the door.

"She will. It takes time," I replied, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. "You did great, Tay."

She turned to me, offering a tired but grateful smile. "Thanks for being there."

"Always," I replied, pulling her into a comforting embrace.

Taylor rested her head on my shoulder, the emotions of the night palpable in the quietness of our bedroom. I held her close, knowing that witnessing someone in distress, especially someone we cared for deeply, had an impact on both of us.

"She's going through so much," Taylor said softly, her voice filled with empathy.

"We're doing our best to make her feel safe here," I reassured her, planting a gentle kiss on her forehead. "You're doing an amazing job, love."

Her tired smile conveyed gratitude, but I could sense the weight of responsibility she placed on herself. The desire to provide comfort and reassurance was woven into every action she took, especially in moments like this.

"We'll figure it out together," I said, trying to offer some assurance in the midst of uncertainty.

We sat in comfortable silence for a while, the room enveloped in the stillness of the night. I had my arm wrapped around her body as we sat there resting, neither of us even wanted to sleep. The hours passed by slowly, the weight of our shared experiences settling over us.

"I should check on her again," Taylor finally said, breaking the silence as she shifted to stand up.

"I'll come with you," I offered, following her back to Alexia's room.

Peeking inside, we found her sleeping peacefully, the traces of distress from earlier now softened by the tranquillity of slumber. Taylor gently adjusted the covers around her, ensuring she was comfortable before we quietly left the room once more.

Back in our bedroom, Taylor settled back into bed, exhaustion tugging at her. I joined her, wrapping my arms around her as she fell back asleep, I lay there watching the woman I love sleep in peace.