summary

Seventeen-year-old Liville Wanless has been betrothed to Sejanus Plinth for as long as she can remember

Seventeen-year-old Liville Wanless has been betrothed to Sejanus Plinth for as long as she can remember. She was raised knowing she would one day be his wife, and that their marriage would bring enormous wealth to both families.

Liville has not seen Sejanus in person since she was thirteen. After four years of communicating through letters only, she is sent to live with his family for one full year before they are to be married. This year together is meant to help them bond before marriage, as well as ensure a smooth marital transition.

Things may have gone as smooth as intended, had Coriolanus Snow not appeared in her life.

Had the reserved, abrasive boy not been made her academy class partner, she would've been able to steer clear of him all together.

But despite the fact Coriolanus wants nothing to do with romance, and Liville wants nothing to do with him, they both snake their way into each other's hearts without realizing.

For the first time in her life, she feels more burdened by her betrothal than blessed by it.

And while she knows falling in love with anyone besides Sejanus is destined to bring heartache, she had no way of comprehending the tragedy and despair that would come from being loved by Coriolanus Snow.