2.13

Saturday Morning

2 Days Before The Hunger Games

Everything was different now.

And the change was so drastic, Sejanus wondered if things would ever return to how they were.

Liville hardly looked at Sejanus that next morning. She hardly spoke, and when she did it was only to give an answer to a question.

Her face was blank and emotionless, even when the nurse changed her bandages.

She was just so...different.

She wasn't Liville. At least not the one Sejanus knew.

Her eyes stayed on the ground that next morning, when Mrs. Plinth spoke to her carefully about the new rules they'd be putting down. "Disappearing as you did yesterday must not happen again. You must call us if you will be missing dinner," she told Liville. "And if you are to miss school, you must especially allow us to know beforehand."

Liville held her hands together. "Yes, Mrs. Plinth."

Sejanus, who sat next to Liville, fidgeted in his seat. "Ma, she didn't know she'd miss school," he said, and wondered why Liville didn't say it herself.

"Still," Mrs. Plinth insisted. "We were very worried. Next time, please request a phone to call us and let us know if you'll be out late."

Sejanus wished Liville would pick her head up. But she kept her eyes low. She gave a soft nod. "I will."

Mrs. Plinth sighed. "Sejanus has made it clear that he is concerned about you being...unchaperoned. So if it's all the same, next time you go to Gaul's laboratory, Sejanus will accompany you."

Another soft, "Yes, of course."

Sejanus felt guilt drilling into him. "No, I-That's not what I meant."

His mother began again, "Still-"

"I'm not allowed in the laboratory," Sejanus said. "I don't need to take her there, I was only-" He looked at Liville, "I was only upset. Then. Not now. I'm not now. Ma, I'm not now, I do not mind her going alone."

Liville still didn't meet his eye.

"And yesterday-I did not mean to shout. I was just very worried, Liv," Sejanus continued.

Liville replied, "I am sorry. I swear not to do it again."

"Thank you, Liville," Mrs. Plinth said, pleased.

Sejanus's guilt drilled into him harder with every passing second.

The older woman continued, "On another note, your mother called this morning. She wonders why you haven't called her back yet? You two were supposed to discuss a new diet of yours?"

Sejanus saw how quickly Liville tensed. Her hands formed fists.

"She's still recovering from the attack," Sejanus told his mother. "She shouldn't be on a diet right now."

An attack that wounded her badly. An attack her mother never called to hear about from her. An attack her mother was apparently ignoring so that they could get back to the only real concern she had for her daughter: her diet.

"Either way, your mother would like you to call her later today," Mrs. Plinth insisted.

Liville fidgeted with her hands. "I will, Mrs. Plinth."

"Thank you, dear," she repeated in her pleased tone. "Now are you two walking to school this morning, or shall I call the driver?"

Liville simply said, "Whichever you would prefer, Sejanus."