Chapter 4 | Petty Theft

"With the utmost respect due, sir, I am not working with her," Flamingo retorted. You know, I thought we were cool but clearly not to her. To her we were lukewarm if I do say so myself.

Chase let out a sigh that was audible to the entire room. "Who would you like to work with then?"

"Alexan-"

"I don't think that's a good idea sir," Alex quickly said. He had dug a grave for himself and it was quite frankly hilarious.

"Why ever not Alex?" Chase asked, amused. I assumed he knew everything that went on in this place, and therefore knew about the Pinky and Alex situation. That made the scene in front of me even funnier.

Alex faltered and thought for a second. His excuse was that he already had a partner and it would be unfair to Leo.

Flamingo huffed, puffed and blew the building down. I'm kidding. She just huffed in a way that indicated she'd given up trying to switch. She would need freakishly large lungs to knock over a concrete structure.

"I don't like King though," she said childishly. That didn't hurt at all. I stood awkwardly, not having a good reply.

Chase stood with an equally awkward expression that could have been a smile in some other universe but did not quite make the cut here. Maybe a grimace? "Uh, okay, but I'm sorry Avery you're going to have to put your dislikes aside and work with Mia. Maybe you'll bond, it's highly unlikely but not impossible," he said with a blank stare and the same facial expression, looking slightly disassociated.

She huffed again. The building was still standing though. Then she stormed out of the door frustrated and ready to knock someone over. If you were there you'd understand what I mean.

"Oh...
Okay then, I guess the meeting is over," Chase said watching her leave, still looking confused like he had just arrived. "Bye everyone."

People filed out of the door in a deranged manner. I followed, just as catastrophically. Outside, I found Leo, trying to get out of the crowd. He smiled at me and greeted, so I politely greeted back.

After we both got out of the chaos, he asked, "What are you doing today?"

"Nothing much. Why?"

"I thought we could do something. You should come to my dorm."

I wasn't aware that we were tight like that but I agreed anyway, following him to his shared dorm.

I sat down on one of the beds. "So what did you want to do?" I asked.

"I don't know I thought you might have an idea."

I sat for a second, thinking hard. I was not good at planning things or making decisions so this was nightmare fuel.
Then I got it.
The most amazing idea I could've pulled out of my brain in that high pressure, stressful environment.

"I heard there's drugs somewhere in the cafeteria that we can steal."

His eyebrows shot up. "I like the way you think, King."

That's how we found ourselves executing my utterly stupid idea in broad daylight some time after lunch hour when the cafeteria was locked and there was no one around there.

"Maybe we should back out," I said, a sense of worry clouding my mind randomly. You should know that when something was on my mind, that was a rare thing, so of course I listened to my thoughts when I had them.

"We'll be fine, don't worry," Leo replied.

"But what if we get caught?"

"If you don't hurry up with that lock picking we just might," he answered. I don't know why I was in charge of lock picking. I did not even know how to do it. I was quite literally shaking the lock from the inside, hoping it would magically loosen.