Wattpad Original
There are 5 more free parts

Ch. 15: Don't Leave

Gabriel

"Are you finished yet?"

Working alongside Sofia as my guide is an experience I hope to avoid in the future. She continues to chatter, adjusting the light incessantly and posing questions to which I have no answers.

I turn the valve, squinting and muttering curses when Sofia shifts the light again.

"Just keep the damn light steady," I warn, sharply.

"You might want to call a plumber," she suggests. I don't trust your skills."

I scoff at her remark. "You're hardly one to judge. I can't even trust you with a flashlight."

"Hey!" She peers under the sink, shining the flashlight into my eyes. "It's not my fault; I've never had to fix a leaking pipe before."

"Just keep the light steady."

Her lips droop, and she withdraws, finally directing the light to the precise spot I need it. I inspect the valve, relieved to find it securely sealed with the tape I retrieved from the shed's toolbox.

Soaked from the water that splashed on me during the mission, I emerge from beneath the sink, and my gaze falls upon Sofia's glamorous legs, which glisten in the dim light she casts. I can't help but let my eyes wander upward, indulging in an inappropriate curiosity about what might be concealed beneath those shorts. She is wet too, although not more than me. But we are in desperate need of a shower.

"Is it finished?" she asks, snapping me out of my unholy perusal.

I clear my throat, straightening up. Sofia continues to shine the flashlight on my face, and I shoot her an annoyed look, blocking the light with my palm and snatching the phone from her grip.

"It'll hold for now," I reply gruffly. "I'll need to call a plumber tomorrow."

She places her hands on her hips, her frustration evident. "You should have just done that instead of wasting our time."

I point towards the window, where no signs of human life are visible except for us. Everything is eerily quiet, save for the distant chirping of cicadas.

"See out there? There's no one for miles," I tell her, my voice dropping to a low, ominous tone that enlarges her eyes. "It's storming. If anyone does show up, it'll likely be thieves and robbers."

She bites her lip, throwing me an irritated look.

"Why did you bring me to this shitty place?"

"It's not shitty."

"It's true. Nothing here seems to function properly. We're even running low on food and groceries," she exclaims, gesturing irritably, while I run my fingers through my wet hair. "And let's not forget the unreliable power supply."

I shake my head, causing a few droplets to fall on her. She shivers and takes a few steps away, which elicits a smirk from me.

Such a scaredy cat. It will be fun to watch her break.

It is my turn to direct the flash on her face, making her squeeze her eyes shut. "Everything was fine before you decided to be over-smart. Now, shut up and follow me."

I pivot towards the stairs, taking a few steps before she stops me.

"Where are we going?" she asks.

I exhale, the light finding her face again. She covers her eyes with a hand, shielding them.

"You wanna stay down here all night?" I inquire. "Fine by me. Say hello to Percy if he greets you."

Sofia's eyes narrow with a perplexed expression. "Who's Percy?"