7

Amy Greengrass continued scanning the child on the floor of the kitchen. The fact the child in question was Harry Potter was immaterial at the moment; her only concern was gaining a thorough list of any injuries the child had suffered. She set a piece of parchment with a Dicta-Quill to record her findings, and began the scan again. She thought it was fortunate the scan was taking all of her concentration. She might be tempted to visit the people who did this for a bit of retribution. She briefly looked up when she noticed her husband watching her. She met his raised eyebrow with a gimlet eyed stare of her own. Knowing his wife in a temper could be vicious enough to make Bellatrix Lestrange take a step back and reconsider, Brian tried to appeal to her reason and intellect.

"Now Amy love, if I allowed you to eviscerate the people who did this, it could ruin Kyle's case and he wouldn't be able to make the person who likely placed him with those people pay for it. So please, keep your temper for just a little while longer."

Amy snorted, and began making even more notes, the set of her back and shoulders betraying just how enraged she was.

"It's not fair that my oaths as a Healer won't allow me to deal with the animals that did this the way I want to. I assume that there's a reason you wouldn't want him taken to St. Mungo's, Kyle?"

"Unfortunately yes, Amy. It might tip off the person I believe is responsible for placing him with those people, and I want to arrange for at least a hearing to name a new guardian before that happens. And before you ask, when I bring that person to trial, I hope to have enough evidence against the person to build a dam in the Thames," Kyle answered her.

"Fine. There's a small clinic near where Brian and I live that I volunteer time in. We can take him there, and treat him as a 'John Doe Child' patient. But I want him moved to that clinic as soon as I finish here. He not only has physical injuries, there's something very wrong with his magic. I need access to the clinic to find out what that is if St Mungo's isn't an option."

"How long do you think he would be at the clinic? Based on what he's told me so far, it wouldn't be long before those people he lives with notice he's not there; namely when their dinner is late to the table," Kyle asked.

"I can't give an accurate estimate until I can do a more thorough examination that includes his magic. Their dinner? As in they expect him to cook for them? Merlin's beard, he can't be more than seven or so based on his size. That's much too young for that kind of responsibility unless supervised."

"Already made dinner for them. Messed up making dessert. Dudley's favorite, so he got mad," the small voice of Harry stated. He was already falling asleep from the way his eyes kept closing and opening slowly.

"Harry? Harry, I need you to stay awake for me. Can you tell me what happened?" Kyle questioned rapidly.

"Messed up dessert. Dudley got mad, so he started hitting me. Said I ruin everything. Got away from him after he hit my cheek. Tried to open the back door and Uncle Vernon grabbed me. Hit me in th' face a couple times, pulled my arms behind me, shook me a couple times. Shoved me in m' cupboard, but f'rgot to lock th' door. Heard 'im tell Dudley an' Aunt Petunia going out f'r dessert, since I'm a freak who don't know how t'do anything right. Came here when they left. Sorry I messed up your floor, Mr. Stanton."

"I don't want you to worry about my floor, Harry. The floor can be cleaned up. What was your aunt doing when this was happening? Didn't she try to stop it at all?"

"Aunt Petunia never stops Uncle Vernon and Dudley. Says a freak like me doesn't deserve help."

"Harry, my name is Brian Greengrass, and I work with Mr. Stanton. I'm sorry, but did you say you were shoved into your cupboard? What do you mean your cupboard?"