22

When Arcturus stepped out of the Floo into Gringotts, he was met by one of the bank guards. Holding his arms away from his sides, and palms away from him, he slightly inclined his head.

"I am to meet my grandson Sirius Black III for an appointment with Account Manager Krogund."

Acknowledging Arcturus had a valid appointment, the guard led the way to Krogund's office where Sirius was waiting.

"Grandfather," Sirius began, standing, "thank you for coming this morning. Krogund has been showing me some of the information that has raised concerns for the Potter accounts. I do have one or two questions."

Taking a seat in front of the desk, followed by Sirius, Arcturus raised a brow.

"What questions do you have, Heir Black?" Krogund asked.

"Two of the questions I have concerns Arabella Figg. If I am understanding this correctly, she is currently living in a house close to where my godson Harry Potter was living; a house which had been set aside for the parents of Lily Potter nee Evans, and there is no record of a payment of rent or mortgage in the time she has been living there. Why has she not been evicted from the house yet? How did she even come to be living there? I'm somewhat familiar with the woman, as we were both members of Albus Dumbledore's Order of the Phoenix, but that's my only contact with her."

"We only have suppositions and educated guesses how she came to be living in that house, Heir Black; she began living there not long after Harry Potter was taken in by Vernon and Petunia Dursley, our guess being Albus Dumbledore sent her to live there to either watch the treatment Harry received, or to watch and report if any of Voldemort's followers had managed to locate the Potter scion. As for why she has not yet been evicted, Harry Potter is not aware of this information to be in a position to give those instructions, and you, as his magical guardian, and thus capable of giving those instructions in his stead, have been unavailable," Krogund answered dispassionately.

"I spoke with young Harry about Arabella Figg before coming to Gringotts," Arcturus interjected.

"How does Harry know Arabella?" Sirius asked.

"According to young Harry, his aunt and uncle would ask Arabella Figg to watch Harry in her home while the Dursleys took their son on outings. He told me he didn't like staying with her, that while she did give him something to eat while there, most of the time she would show him photographs of her many cats, and her house, to Harry, didn't smell good."

"I'm going to assume she was telling Dumbledore about how Harry was treated; is there any indication Arabella Figg tried to tell anyone else about Harry? Did she contact the DMLE, the muggle police, or even muggle or Wizarding Child Services about him?"

"We've been unable to find any evidence she had done so, Heir Black."

"Grandfather, does the House of Black own any properties in the muggle world? Properties that are rented to people as residences? I'm not sure I remember, and the law may be different in the Wizarding world about someone living in a property he or she neither rents nor owns without permission."

"I don't believe so, Sirius. But that is only due to the fact property meant for a business is more profitable for our family right now," Arcturus replied, a thoughtful look on his face.

"If I may," Krogund began, "the law is virtually identical in both worlds in this instance. I believe what you are referring to in regard to this situation Heir Black, is known as squatting."

"I don't think I know the term. Would you explain, please?" Sirius asked.

"Squatting is when someone deliberately enters property without permission and lives there, or intends to live there. It is sometimes known as 'adverse possession'." *