C H A P T E R 01

01|Survival (s)Kills

"Open hand or closed fist would be fineThe blood is rare and sweet as cherry wine

The blood is rare and sweet as cherry wine."
♪♪Cherry Wine by Hozier♪♪

"I need to say a bad word!" The old man exclaimed with the excitement of a five-year-old.

"Then just say it, Jamie." I rolled my eyes playfully.

"What if I go to hell?"

"You don't need to worry about it," I chuckled, arranging the cash.

"Oh, I do have to when I'm two steps away from meeting Jasmine." He stopped pacing around abruptly. "On a second thought, I won't say it. I can't risk not meeting her."

"Don't worry, old man, you ain't dying anytime soon." I winked at him while he followed me to the diner's kitchen. "You're the first man I've seen to talk about his wife ten minutes before going on a date with some other woman."

So Jamie had just made a new girlfriend, Mary, and it was going to be their first date right here in this diner he owned.

"Jas is Jas. No one can replace her, sweetheart."

I smiled at the romance. It felt like an unexperienced emotion to me. But beautiful nonetheless.

"I'm sorry, we're closing early tonight," I shouted over to a customer entering the diner.

The man dressed in a navy suit jacket cringed at me, his green eyes pitching to the table adorned with candles and rose petals. Then they fell over an overdressed Jamie. Then he looked over his shoulder with a displeased scowl. And then he finally went away.

"Wow!" Jamie made a funny face at the man's retrieving form. "Can't oldies go on a date? Why that reaction?"

"Don't worry, oldie. Enjoy your date. I'll get going. Have fun!" I flashed him a teasing smile and exited from the back door, walking down the dark alley that connected to the main street.

The same street looked a little more lively today. The lampposts appeared to be a little more bright, and the pedestrians' chortles sounded a little more delightful. But the aura faded as soon as I entered my neighborhood.

Merry giggles turned into noisy curses. The reek of cigarettes and alcohol replaced the sweet aroma of pastries and flowers. Homeless drug addicts and thieves switched for the happy looking people on the sidewalk.

I wrapped my arms around myself and increased my speed, a sudden feeling of being watched hitting me right in the face. Honestly, it was something I felt every time I passed by this area. But today it was stronger.

I stopped and looked over my shoulder. There was no one. Shaking my head, I continued my way to the last building in this godforsaken place.

The lock clicked and I pushed the almost rotten main door open, hoping to find Damien in. He wasn't. I was disappointed, but not surprised. I would rather have him sit idle at home and not go out for what he called work.