C H A P T E R 05

05| A Secret Place

Don't know the places he goesDon't know the people he knowsDon't you understandIt's out of your hands

Don't know the people he knows
Don't you understand
It's out of your hands.
♪He's Got a Secret by The Bangles♪

Where was I?

It took me a good five minutes to contemplate the exorbitant interiors covered in golden sunshine as I fluttered my eyes open. Even so, what got me recollecting the dramatic realization of my existence was him—Mr. Vincent Call Me Sir Rivera—laying next to me.

Or, shall I say, almost under me?

Suddenly, I couldn't breathe with this proximity and the inappropriateness of our position. I did all kinds of drama last night, right from turning my back at him to placing a firewall of pillows between us, and this was how I ended up in the morning.

With me rolled on my stomach.

And my arm clung to his bare chest.

And left leg thrown over him.

This was the part where I should probably stick a fork in my neck. Or shoot my brains out. Or jump out of the window.

No. That didn't end well the last time I tried.

Maybe the cliff this time.

Help me! I was hyperventilating, frantically searching for my next move, but I felt paralyzed.

Get off him, stupid Ilsa!

Why does he smell so good?

Hello! You were afraid of him.

I still was. What the fuck was happening?

Panicked, I jumped off the bed, sucking in a huge load of oxygen like someone just pulled me out of a pool where I was drowning.

Calm down. Reverse count from ten.

Ten...

He wasn't even awake. He won't know a thing.

Nine...

You won't turn back and look at his almost naked form.

Eight...

Go to the bathroom and hide yourself.

Seven...

I didn't.

Six...

Alright, it was working. You're doing amazing.

Five...

But I can still take a brief look at him. I mean, it isn't an everyday thing to wake up to a man like... this man.

Four...