xi. lily, moony, & padfoot

✦

chapter eleven;
lily, moony, and padfoot

Instead of getting water, Amaya grabbed a beer from the fridge and took a large gulp, to tamper down whatever it was that was trying to claw its way out of her. She heard footsteps in the kitchen and turned to see Remus walk in, with some plates they'd used for chips before putting them in the sink giving her a small smile.

"Peter's back in the game," he explained when she raised a questioning brow. "Better him than me. Without you there, James is wiping our arses."

A laugh slipped past her lips. "Yeah, well, he's a good player."

"He's good at reading people," said Remus, thoughtfully, before grimacing, "Well, when he wants to."

"Yeah, I've noticed. He always seems to know how to cheer me up and we just met."

A smile tugged at Remus' lips. "That's James."

Her smile faltered slightly as she nodded, wondering how she got here in the first place. How she'd managed to find friends, and people that took her in—she shook her head out of her thoughts, the alcohol was making her gloomy.

"You alright, Amaya?"

She hummed in acknowledgment and shrugged. "This is fun. I haven't been to a party in a while."

"Do you miss your friends back home?" he asked conversationally and perhaps it was the alcohol in her system of Remus' trustworthy face as he leaned against the counter next to her but she answered honestly.

"I don't have anyone, really," she said quietly, shrugging. "Guess I meant party as in illegal clubs?"

"Those do sound like fun."

"Until the police get there."

"Really? I thought they'd join in," he said with a smile and Amaya laughed.

They were quiet for a while as they each sipped on their beers before Amaya blurted out, "What's the deal with Potter and Lily?"

Remus stopped as he was about to drink, and shrugged, looking down at her with knowing eyes. "Why?"

"Just curious."

He didn't seem to buy it but he answered anyway. "James was in love with Lily for a good part of our Hogwarts year. He grew out of it last year, and we got pretty close to Lily and Marlene. He says he's over her."

"Right."

"Would you like to hear what I think?" Remus asked after a moment of quiet and Amaya nodded, downing the rest of her drink. He spoke, "I think James is confused. I think he has moved on, but doesn't know what to do with himself, after years of pining for Lily. I think he needs someone to show him what real love, double-sided love, is."