xxii. love is overwhelming

✦

chapter twenty-two;
love is overwhelming

Amaya was freaking out. She'd realized, or finally come to admit it to herself, that she was utterly in love with James Potter. And now felt like throwing up, or fainting. Quite frankly she wanted to stop breathing for a moment altogether.

It was as if her body couldn't quite process the emotions she felt. She was so used to the feeling of magic, and hiding behind it, that, when her emotions were overwhelming, she sort of shut down.

And until now all the emotions that broke her were negative. They were fear and desperation, they were the lack of love from everywhere.

The last person she'd allow herself to love had been Elio. It was a sort of love that resembled that of someone she needed to care for, someone she owed her life to, someone who'd become her family through torments.

Now he haunted her mind. Plagued her dreams. Well, until James had helped her get rid of the nightmares.

And now, somehow, she found herself loving again. She found herself in love.

The moment they'd composed themselves and got out of the cellar, Amaya didn't stop to think as her mind started to spiral. She'd kissed James on the cheek and yelled out, "I'm going to Marls'", as she ran for the Floo.

She stumbled onto her friend's living room and froze when she saw Angus, Marlene's brother, and Elspeth, her mother, staring at her in confusion as they paused their magical chess game.

"Amaya, darling, are you feeling alright?" Elspeth asked as she stood up, leading Amaya, who was hyperventilating at this point, to the couch.

"Yes, I just—"

"Maya?"

Amaya didn't get to sit down on the couch as Marlene and Lily came barreling into the living room, looking concerned.

"You look panicked," Lily stated, matter-of-factly, as she rushed up to her and laid a hand on her forehead to check her temperature.

"I'll make some tea," Marlene's mum said, patting Amaya on the shoulder as she took Angus along with her, clearly wanting to give the girls some space.

"Thank you," was all Amaya could say and the woman merely winked at her.

The moment they were gone, Amaya's strength left and she fell on the couch with a heavy sigh. "I think I might be dying," she said lamely as Lily and Marlene's faces obscured her line of sight, staring at her like she was some piece in a museum to be studied.

"What happened?" asked Marlene.

Amaya grimaced, shaking her head. "I can't tell you. It's embarrassing."