Chapter 4

I thought that to be claimed was a good thing.

But all it brought was more loneliness.

The process of moving out of Cabin 11 was a sad one, even if I'd been there for only two nights. It was probably the most hectic cabin at the camp, but everybody was genuinely welcoming and great to me. I don't think I've ever experienced that kind of friendship before, or I ever will again.

Luke in particular was the one I was bound to miss, even if we would be around each other at camp all the time. He was so cool to me, from putting up with all my questions to saving me from Clarisse at dinner, he'd only been kind to me, even going so far as to steal toiletries to make me feel welcome.

So when I dumped my bag in Cabin 3 for the first time, the sense of loneliness overpowered any feeling of awe I had for the beauty of the view, or the amazing interior design.

I sat down on the blue couch, staring into the fountain that happened to be in the corner of the lounge area, and I just digested my thoughts.

I never really got the chance to properly mourn my mom, the fast paced nature of this camp gave me an opportunity to forget about the internal grief I had locked away.

But now that I was alone, all I could feel was the lack of that loving figure in my life now, the one who would stick with me no matter what. And it got to me.

A tear ran down my cheek. Then another one. And another. Soon enough, I was sat curled up on my new living room's sofa, crying and sobbing into my knees, hiccuping as I wailed.

I sat there for a good half an hour, doing nothing but ache physically and emotionally for my mother, the purest person I ever knew.

She worked three jobs for me, put up with my expulsions, dealt with Gabe, all the while knowing my real nature. And I felt horrible for every time I acted up, or made her life anymore difficult that it already was.

I was crying so much that I had no more tears left to give, and my diaphragm began to ache with all the sobbing and hiccups I was doing.

So I just sat there, unmoving, just remembering my mother, Sally Jackson.

I'm not sure how long I was doing that though, but I do know that at some point, I looked at the clock and nearly shit myself, knowing I was completely unprepared for dinner, rushing to the bathroom for the quickest shower I've ever had in my life.

That was at least one positive thing about being claimed, I had my own... well, everything. Own bedroom, own bathroom, own TV.

I could appreciate that.
___________________________________________

I ran out the cabin in a change of clothes, hoping to get to the dining pavilion in time, but when I entered, a man in a leopard print shirt, hawaiian-print shorts and sunglasses, who I could only imagine was the 'Mr. D' Chiron told me about on my first day, yelled out from the table Chiron was at.

"And our unlucky winner for cleaning duty is the Poseidon Cabin!" He smirked, pointing to his cheap looking watch mockingly. "You're the last here kid."

I blushed, feeling everybody's eyes on me, and I started to quickly hurry towards the Hermes Cabin's table, before realising I wasn't part of it anymore and turning back halfway there, to sit by myself at the third table. That was even more humiliating.