Chapter 10

The rest of the passengers on the train got off eagerly, probably ready to stretch their legs after such a long trip, but we stood still, staring at him.

He stared back, and nobody got in-between us, so he never lost his eye contact.

"What should we do?" I whispered to Annabeth, and she hesitated, looking up at me.

"I don't know."

"I'll tell you what you should do." Ares spoke up gruffly, his accent a cross between Texan and Midwestern, somehow hearing me from so far away.

"And what's that?" Annabeth asked, feigning confidence over her fear.

"You should come with me, and get some pancakes. You guys gotta be hungry, right? I know a good diner nearby." He smirked.

"Do we have much of a choice?" Grover asked, shaking so much that I could literally see his knees knock.

"Nope." He chuckled, before taking off his sunglasses. He was terrifying before, but now that we could see his eyes, he was even worse.

They were like a deep red abyss, and even though he was relatively far away, you could see literal fire flicker in them, promising pain if he was pissed off.

"Then let's go." I sighed.
___________________________________________

I was hungry, I really was. But my appetite was lost watching Ares devour a stack of pancakes, crumbs getting stuck in his sharp beard and the noises he made as he ate threw me off.

He was smacking his lips and sucking his fingers of any extra syrup, and the feeling of disgust was too much. Judging by the fullness of their plates, I was guessing Grover and Annabeth were feeling something similar.

Once he finally finished his large pancake stack (and our unfinished ones), chugged down a large milkshake, and had some dessert, Ares let out a big burp that got us disgusted looks from other diners but he didn't seem to care.

"Ah! That was good grub!" He laughed to himself, patting his stomach as he laid back in his chair.

"Right. I'm sure you enjoyed it." Annabeth sarcastically muttered before continuing.

"So why exactly did you come all this way to meet us?" She asked, staring at the war god in a mixture of disgust, curiosity and fear.

He grinned, putting his hands behind his head, his aura just screaming arrogance.

"Yeah, I'm sure you're wondering, aren't 'cha? Well I'll tell you, Owl Brat. And don't worry, I'm not here to kill you for my dad or whatever." He waved it off and I think we all gave a big sigh of relief, much to his amusement.

"Believe me, if I wanted to kill ya, you'd be long dead by now. But nah, I'm not here for anything that fun. I'm here to give you brats an offer." He crossed his arms and a devious twinkle appeared in his eye.

"And what's that?" I leaned forward a little bit, interested in what he had to say.

"Look. Sea Brat. What you've done recently is pretty well known. Everybody on Olympus knows about the monsters you've killed, and we definetly know about that stupid bitch Achelous. And now you're the heir to your daddy? I wish you were my son, instead of those worthless pieces of shit that you humiliated at Camp Half-Blood." He paused.

I forgot about that. For some reason, I didn't seem to think that Clarisse's dad might have a problem with me, even after what I did to her. Thank goodness he didn't, otherwise, I might not still be breathing.

"But look. A few of the gods aren't exactly happy with all your new glory and whatnot. They'd rather see you dead. I'm not one of them though. Personally, I don't care about some stupid mortal, but I can't say the same for others. Do you get what I'm trying to say?" He looked directly at me, ignoring the other two. I shook my head.