Chapter 5

CRASH

A bright flash of light illuminated the sky, striking the water with undeniable power.

In retaliation, the ocean began to rock violently, putting enough force into its currents that a whirlpool formed, spitting out great torrents of water towards the sky, going so high that even the clouds were affected by it.

That didn't deter the lightning though, as it ran its course throughout the clouds in a thunderous rumble, about to strike again, but before it could, my vision turned to darkness, a voice replacing the images in my head.

It's time.
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

BEEP BEEP BEEP B-

My alarm shut up with a quick slam on the off button, and I groaned groggily. I rubbed my eyes and looked at the clock, sighing as I did so.

5 AM. Great.

I yawned as I got up out of my bed, heading to the shower after stretching my tired muscles. Before I got in though, I looked at the large mirror in my bathroom, staring at my disheveled self, unimpressed.

Today was the day. The day of the quest.

The day I would start the journey to retrieve my mom.

And the Bolt. But mainly my mom.
___________________________________________

I got out of the cabin at 5:17AM, and with a quick bite to eat from the minifridge in my cabin (I wasn't sure who kept restocking it but I wasn't complaining), I left to the large oak tree that sat on top of the hill.

The camp looked different in the dim lighting, it looked hollow and lifeless, if it wasn't for the burning torches that lined each pathway, there would be no way of knowing anything was anywhere.

I looked to the central hearth between all the cabins, fully expecting to see the same girl I always had, but it was vacant, and there was no fire in the center. That was odd.

I didn't let it stop me though, shifting my backpack on my shoulders as I trudged forwards to the tree.

SQUELCH SQUELCH

The sound of footsteps rushing behind me suddenly filled my ears, and I felt Riptide appear in my hand as I snapped my head around, ready to strike, but my body language softened when I saw who it was.

Luke flashed a grin at me, raising his eyebrows. "Hey Percy. I thought you already left for your quest, thank goodness I caught you."

I tilted my head in confusion. "How do you know about the quest? I haven't told anyone about it."

"Grover told me. He said that Chiron told him that you chose him for the quest, whatever it is. Doesn't matter. I just wanted to give you one last gift before you left." Luke smiled, looking down at a shoebox in his arms, stretching his hands out to give it to me.

I opened it tentatively, and I had to say, I was confused when I saw a pair of black and white Converses just resting there. I wasn't sure what I was expecting out of a shoebox, but it wasn't shoes.

"Thanks?" I tried to not seem ungrateful but it didn't come out right.

Luke chuckled at my expression and shook his head. "Don't worry, they aren't just shoes. Look."

He picked them up from the box and whispered. "Maia."

Suddenly, the laces began to twist and contort into themselves, sprouting out a large white wing at the side of the shoe, fluttering and flapping.