Chapter 6

Making your way into your house, you turned back to face Cid, your face warming as he stood in the doorway, staring at you as if waiting for something.

"Invite me in." His words were so sudden that you had to take a few moments to process what he said. You shook your head, shutting the door slightly as you stood in the space that the door left, your tone tender, as if pacifying the boy. "I'll invite you in tomorrow, okay? We can hang out if we leave school on time."

Heaving an exasperated sigh, the raven haired male nodded, placing a hand under his chin in deliberation. "I'll take Alexia home by 4, meet up with you by 5 at the edge of the woods and we can stay here and catch up till morning. Classes don't hold on the weekends so we can sleep in and just go sparring instead. How does that sound?"

You rolled your eyes, about to shut the door in his face as you complained.
"Alexia again? Does she need a caretaker or something? Why do you always have to drop her off at home, huh?"

Holding the door open with his foot as a coy smirk settled on his face, his tone teasing. "The fake relationship has to look real, at least. Are you being serious right now?"

"Of course I'm being serious, you've barely spent any time with me! It's always Alpha this or Gamma that or Alexia has to do this. You're neglecting your own best friend!" You crossed your arms, trying to shove harder against the door to keep him out.

Cid leaned forward, pushing the door open and staring at you with a raised brow. "You realize that you sound jealous, right??"

You scoffed, poking a finger into his chest as you got up in his face, frowning. "Well maybe I am jealous! All you've done is attend to other people-"

"Did you expect me to be carefree here?? I have responsibilities here, a lot of them. I have to run Shadow Garden, I have to keep my identity as Shadow a secret and I also have to help the girls deal with the cult of diabolos while juggling school work and this whole stupid relationship with Alexia and now I can't break things off with her because she doesn't want to get married to her fiance."

"So forgive me for not being exactly ready to be at your beck and call right now, but things have to be done." He snarked at you, frowning.

You shook your head, stepping back from Cid as you hugged yourself, averting your eyes. "I didn't mean it like that and I know you have things to do. I just wanted you to try and make out some time for me."

"I also have things I do here; I run the mana tower and share magical energy with most of the people who barely have enough, I write my grimoires and make magical items, I teach applied magic at school because our teachers are completely incompetent when it comes to harnessing magic instead of just running it over your sword. I also go out of the kingdom on some weekends for Iris to do important things. I just....."

Seeing the look on your face, Cid pushed the door open the rest of the way, his eyes softening as he sighed. "I didn't.... I didn't mean to sound so cranky. I-"

"It's fine. I'll see you tomorrow at school, okay? G'night." You forced a smile at him, slamming the door shut in his face before centering a glyph on it to keep it locked.

You went up the stairs, going to shower and head to bed as Cid stood on your porch, repeatedly knocking his head against the door as he groaned in annoyance. "Stupid, stupid, stupid Cid! Ugh, why am I so stupid??"

You ignored the loud thumping, activating the magical barriers outside your house by drawing the runes necessary for it on the wall of the bathroom as you sat in the tub.

"We'll just talk tomorrow morning. I have to apologize properly too."

--