Chapter 7

Returning to the rooftop after classes were over for the day to try and locate Alexia's magical energy was the order of the evening as your search earlier in the day had yielded no results.

“This should work.” You mumbled to yourself, putting your chalk back into your coat pocket and plopping down in the large glyph you drew, holding your staff close to your chest while holding your fingers above each sigil to effect them with mana and activate them, one of Alexia's purple hair bows on the floor in front of you.

Closing your eyes to focus on reaching out your magic to find hers, you let your fingers lightly skim the hair bow, opening your eyes a few moments later after feeling nothing, your mind plagued by thoughts of Minoru, wondering how he was holding up during his interrogation.

“I just hope he's okay..... What's wrong with me even? I won't confess and I'm acting like-”

You spun around at the sudden sound of footsteps, simultaneously setting up a barrier around you, the bejeweled head of your staff pointed at whomever your adversary may have been, only to freeze at the sight of Zenon studying the glyph you were currently sitting on, azure orbs peering at you as if in shock that you had good senses.

'You're not catching me off guard. But what are you doing up here and how did you get here without making a single noise in the first place?' You thought to yourself, feigning surprise as you blinked numerous times before giving him a tight-lipped giggle.

“I didn't hear you. You startled me, Mister Griffey... Can I help you?” you muttered, making sure to enhance the barrier around yourself albeit very slightly so he wouldn't notice the increase in magical energy.

Smiling down at you, he flicked the barrier a few times with his gloved fingers, nodding as if he was impressed with the durability. “This is rather impressive, Miss Aria. I believe the barriers outside your home are even stronger, yes?”

Your eyes narrowed at that. Few people from the academy had been to your home and this man was not one of them and this led you to your final question...

How did he know you had magical barriers around your mansion?

Forcing yourself to appear relaxed, you continued facing forward as you responded “Not at all. Those are at least a hundred times stronger than this one.”

“Then I take it this can be broken easily?”

At his words, you felt the hairs on your body stand on end, flaring your magical energy to raise the barrier's durability while spinning simultaneously to point the bejeweled head of your staff at Zenon.

Unfortunately, he had punched the shield with just the right amount of magic infused into his fist, shattering it and sending you rolling across the rooftop, your staff clattering on the floor as you pushed yourself into a sitting position.

“Wh-what the hell are you doing...?” you asked, your eyes darting around the rooftop to find the staff as the blond man stalked over to you.

Zenon sighed, shaking his head in what seemed to be disappointment, his voice carrying a teasing lilt. “I keep hearing these rumors.... I keep hearing people say how you're the strongest person in Midgar. That you might be the strongest in this world, but you're weaker than even Alexia.”

You narrowed your eyes at him, anger making your blood pump faster. “Don't you dare call her weak. Alexia is noble and she's a great person who constantly works to better herself. What would you know about that?”

“I know that at the very least I don't want to be associated with some ‘Fencer ordinaire’ and I've made plans to ensure that never happens. Neither by mentorship nor by marriage. But like you said, what would I know~?”