Chapter Five: Did You Really Count?

Happy 2k reads!

*****

I never understood how people think it's not possible to be just friends with the opposite sex.

Aside from Syd, the closest friend I have that's close to my age is Rafael. He was a racecar driver as well and is currently in F2. We've known each other since we were fifteen and got along really well when he realized I was fluent in Spanish. He was quite similar to Atlas with the positive attitude but the difference was the former was more of a jokester. He loved playing pranks on me and even went so far as to cover my hotel room with his face last year when we were in Monaco for a feature race.

The media didn't miss how close we were and a few of his fans have begun pairing me with him. It was absurd and I was weirded out by the fan accounts speculating that we were together and using every little reaction as a sign that he was my boyfriend.

I was standing by the grid, waiting as the F2 drivers finished their feature race. We were about to have the driver's parade afterwards so me being here wasn't entirely out of place.

"Congratulations!" I greeted him when Rafael made his way to the barricade were a few of his mechanics were waiting for him.

"Thanks, Kat!" He grinned, wrapping his arm around my shoulders. "You ready for your race later?"

I could hear the cameras around us as they took photos of me and Rafael. As usual, we ignored them, but I couldn't help but feel uncomfortable with the amount of attention I knew these pictures were going to get. Now that I have a seat, even though it wasn't really official, people would watch out for my name during race weekends. My following skyrocketed the past month and I had to turn off my comments on my Instagram posts because of some very misogynistic people.

I don't even post that much about my personal life and most of the photos are ones taken by the team's social media team.

"I don't think I'll ever be ready." I sheepishly smiled, fixing the cap I had over my head. "Everything becomes too much sometimes."

Before Rafael could reply, someone called my name and I turned to my left to see Saint waving at me. I waved back and watched as he headed our way with Atlas and Levi trailing behind him, the three of them always found together. I was just with them earlier since Atlas has made it his mission to carpool every time we go to the paddock, not giving me a choice the first time he did it. He literally threw me over his shoulder when I showed a hint of hesitation on my face.

Things with Levi have settled down ever since that night at the pool. I haven't gone back because all I wanted was to drop down on my bed the past two days. There's still the occasional argument between us that we both knew was pointless and he would either clamp his mouth shut or roll his eyes.

Rafael stood taller when he realized who was coming our way. He's only spoken to Saint a handful of times and all of them were about racing. The older driver gave him a nod before turning to me with a smile.

"What's up, man?" Atlas told him before walking towards me and placing two kisses on each of my cheeks. "Mademoiselle." He smirked, knowing how awkward I felt whenever he did that.

My eyes moved to Levi who was looking around as if it was his first time being in the paddock. He was dressed in a red windbreaker with Rivera's logo and sponsors, black sunglasses placed over his eyes. "No hello, your majesty?" I mocked him, biting my lip to keep myself from laughing when he stilled, turned my way, and simply raised an eyebrow.

"Hi." Levi simply said before looking away once again.

Knowing that was all he was going to give, I turned back to Rafael who had his eyes trained on the Brit. "I'll see you after the race?" I asked him, bringing his attention back to me. Every time we're in Spain, we make time to visit a restaurant that's a few minutes away from the paddock. They have the best paella I've ever tasted and the owner always reserves a table for us whenever we're in town.