Chapter 8: Its my first time attending a party

I'm dying... At this rate, I'm going to die...

FROM ALL OF THIS PILED-UP PAPERWORK!

I've been at my desk for days now just working non-stop. Viola would come and remind me to take my break or force me to eat my food on time, but this is slowly killing me...

I wonder if this is the reason why nobles die from an early age. I'm low on energy. Even if I eat something it just feels like it's there. Ah, I want to take a break. I want to walk in the garden and just breathe in the fresh air, but I can't quit just yet. There are still at least three more piles to go. After I finish those, everything should be okay after a while.

A knock suddenly came at the door. Viola announced herself to me. I quickly cleaned up my appearance before allowing her in. She enters the room and greets me with a bow.

"What brings you here, Miss Viola?" I asked her.

"An invitation from Count Vergrumble has arrived," said Viola as she handed me a letter.

I took the letter from her hand and opened it. The contents were filled with endless praise of the Sigma House. At the very end, the letter finally asked if I could attend the upcoming party hosted by the countess Vergrumble. If I didn't read any of the novels, or manga, or watched the shows in my last life, I would think that this was a friendly letter. Countess Vergrumble hid her intent well, but the last sentence failed to cover it all up.

"It would be wonderful if Duke Sigma could attend the party as well as a sign of your good marriage."

Everyone in the kingdom knows what kind of relationship the Sigma and Spheral House have with each other. Asking for a good sign of marriage was to mock me and humiliate me. Countess Vergrumble knows full well Zwei will not come to this party with me, so she expects me to reject the invitation so she can use the rejection as gossip material at the party.

I wanted to find a way to get out of this boredom of paperwork and now I did. A burning passion to wipe off that smirking face from her was growing inside of me. I took out an elegant paper and wrote down my reply. I handed back the letter I wrote, "Please have this delivered as soon as possible."

Viola saw what I wrote, "Is it wise to attend the party, Madam?"

"Having a nice breath of fresh air now and then wouldn't be a bad idea," I answered back with a smile.

Viola blinked at me and then at the reply letter as though she couldn't believe what I just said. She gave out a sigh wondering what kind of trouble I would stir at the party but sent the letter anyway. I won't cause trouble there as long as trouble doesn't come looking for me. Excited about the party, I diligently finished the remaining paperwork for the day.

The party wasn't until three days from now. This invitation letter should have been sent at least a week before the date of the party, but I didn't receive it until now on purpose. Three days is not enough days to prepare for a party, or get a dress, nor is it enough time for a newlywed to get ready. Especially, a newlywed that isn't on the best term. Having a month ahead notice would help give me time to reschedule a busy schedule and other things. Others might find it challenging and even annoying, but I fully welcome it. This is so much more fun than dealing with paperwork. I couldn't help but laugh sinisterly while finishing up the workload.

*******

Zwei swings his blade more than a hundred times. Sweats poured from his forehead as he took in a breath. He went at this for a few hours until Jarold came by and handed him a towel. Zwei wipes off the sweat and sets his sword to the side.

"It looks like madam will be attending the party hosted by Countess Vergrumble," Jarold reported.

Zwei ignores him and returns to his swing after a moment of rest. Jarold shrugs and continues to talk to himself.