16. The Hunt

The Orzstok attack helicopter landed on the roof of Sector 21 airport. Two operatives were waiting to receive the emergency arrival. Agent Luce stepped out of the chopper, a hefty looking pelican suitcase in hand.

The operatives snapped a salute. Luce nodded. His face was tense as if suppressing a snarl. "When did the freight land?" He asked as they walked down the helipad and into the building.

"Yesterday evening." One of the operatives answered as he pushed the elevator button.

"And wasn't it supposed to take off by this morning?" Luce said.

"The freight had technical malfunction in the right propeller." The second operative showed him the blue print of the freight carrier on a tablet, the damaged propeller was highlighted with a red gradient.

"You think I'm concerned about the propeller." He said, the snarl that he'd been suppressing was starting to materialize on his face. "I'm more worried about what the hell you'll do to survive once we take away your badge."

The operative went pale. "S-Sir?"

"You are the chief of airport security." Luce snapped. "A government freight carrier had docked here and you were supposed to watch over it until it took off again! Instead what I'm left with is broken propeller and missing cargo."

The elevator doors opened on the lobby. The squadron of operatives who'd tried and failed to detain Lisa and Cathy were seated on the benches with somber looks. They sprang up in attention the moment Luce appeared.

The government agent sneered at them all. He walked up to them. His 6''6 stature towering over most of the men and women in the kevlar suits. All of them stood stiff with fear and respect as the man with silver blonde hair stepped up to them.

"So you are the rest of the disappointment huh?" He spat in disdain, pacing down the lineup of bashful operatives, making sure he glared right into their eyes as he passed them. "A pregnant woman and a teenager managed to run away while your team was on watch. A highly expensive government vehicle was stolen and slipped out of sight. Do you even know how much your incompetence is gonna cost the government?! Do you even know how much that armored truck costs?!"

The lobby was dead silent. Luce glared at them all before letting out a sigh and rubbed his forehead. Command was going to have him by the balls for his mistake. First the sensitive information about the Silver Lining was leaked. And now the government's dearest weapon had gone missing.

Luce wasn't much worried about losing respect or even becoming a joke in front of other agents. What gnawed at him the most was what the government would do to him if he messed up the job. There had been spook-stories of agents failing on duty. Some of the stories were embellished to a point that they felt like campfire creep tales. Most of them were spiced up lies, no doubt, but one fact that adhered in all of them was that no one ever heard from the failed agents again.

He set down the big pelican case he'd been carrying and pulled out a pack of gum from his pocket. He had to get Lisa Neville. And more importantly, he had to find the truck. He bit into the gum and focused on the mint for a moment.

That's when one of the operatives emerged from the east wing of the airport and snapped him a salute. "Sir, the control room received a message from House of Operations. They've determined Lisa Neville's location." The operative said.

Luce gave a single nod and spat the gum. He stepped up to the squad of sheepish operatives. He glared at them all. "You all are lucky that I haven't discharged you yet. I'm giving you one more chance to prove to me you are not incompetent." His voice was brimming with contempt. "Gear up and fall in on the terrace. You have ten minutes. Dismiss!"