21. The Exit

Purple clouds were starting to shroud the sky. Then there was a flash of yellow lightning. Cathy looked up while her parents still held her close, still in the middle of their picnic. Still just the three of them in that park that felt like it belonged to them.

"Oh, it's gonna rain soon." Mom said before letting go of Cathy. "I think we should pack up for now, honey."

Dad nodded and went over to fold his canvas chair and gather his fishing kit. Mom and Cathy wrapped up the picnic. And soon they were in the car.

The ride back home was peaceful. A little too peaceful, Cathy thought. There were no other cars on the street except theirs. No other people on the sidewalks. No shadows moving in the windows of the buildings. No children playing in their frontyards. No dogs, nor cats nor birds either.

More yellow lightning crackled in the sky. "The weather forecast said that the sky would be clear today." Dad said.

Mom chuckled. "As if the weather forecast is ever speaking the truth."

Cathy frowned. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, they are wrong so often, they might as well be lying to us all, don't you think?" Mom said.

Dad turned on the radio. There was static before a voice said: "The skies will be clear today. It might be a perfect day for a family picnic if you have a family that you get along with."

Cathy frowned again.

"Turn right, honey." Mom said. "I wanna visit the convenient store."

Dad nodded and hit the gas after the light turned green. "Off to the convenient store."

The store was no different than the streets. No attendants, no customers, no cashiers, no cleaners. Halogen lights glistened against the long ceramic tiled floor. Big red discount banners and sales announcements hung on the pristine white walls like an open wound. Cardboard faces smiled at them, endorsing everything from a new flavour of cereal to a classic brand of soda.

Mom grabbed a basket and started browsing the aisles that seemed to go on forever. Dad followed her, whistling along to a pop song whirring on the intercom.

"Where did everyone go?" Cathy said. "Why isn't there anyone around?"

Mom frowned at her. "What are you talking about, dear?" She said. "This is how it's always been."

"Don't you like it this way more, Cat?" Dad said, wrapping his arm around her shoulder. "Just you, your mom and I. Isn't this what you always wanted?"

"Isn't this all that matters?" Mom said. Then her face turned into a frown and she started to cough.

Cathy gasped when she noticed that as Mom coughed her face turned paler. She rushed over to her mother. "M-Mom, are you okay?"

Mom looked down at her daughter. She smiled. "Of course I am." She said. Her lips started to turn red as she smiled while the rest of her face remained pale. "What even can happen to me?"

Cathy frowned. She took a step back. Something wasn't quite right. A loud crack of thunder rattled the doors and windows of the convenient store. The sky outside had turned a deep, dark purple.

(And then there was the rain...) A voice said inside her head. She didn't recognize the speaker, yet it sounded familiar. That's when the intercom crackled, the weather forecaster's voice flooded the empty aisles of the store. "The skies will remain clear. I repeat, the skies will remain clear. This is a perfect time to take your family on a picnic if you have a family."