22. Nightmares

Lisa pulled Cathy in another embrace and let the girl cry herself out, letting her mourn her lost city, mourn her home that was now just a pile of ash. "There, there, honey. You're safe now." She rubbed Cathy's back in reassurance.

"I'll go get Gemma and Erik." Marie said and went upstairs. Clint told her to also bring a glass of water on her way back.

After sobbing and panting for a long minute, Cathy finally pulled away, sniffling, wiping her tears. "How are you feeling now?" Clint asked.

"Weak...but alive." Cathy said, her voice was frail and hoarse.

Lisa touched the girl's forehead. "Her fever seems to be almost gone."

"The EpiFreeze probably worked then." Clint nodded.

Cathy was staring down at her hands. "I saw it." She said. "I saw my city, my home...my parents. I almost didn't recognize them or anything else. I felt like a stranger in my own memories. It was so lonely."

"At least you are out of it, now." Clint said.

"Am I?" Cathy was still staring down at her hands. "It was all inside my head. It was like a dream just...more real. What if I see it all again?"

Lisa and Clint frowned at each other.

"I had to do it again." Cathy said, still staring at her hands. "I killed my father again. What if I go to sleep and see it all again? What if my head makes me go through it all over again? What if I have to kill my father again?"

The two adults were getting even more worried now. Maybe she was right. Maybe she would have to see what she saw again. Or maybe it was just her own fear. Either way, they had no answers to her questions.

That's when Marie walked in with a canteen of water in her hand and Germaine and Erik following close after her. Germaine walked up to the bed and checked Cathy's wound first and foremost. "It's all blue." She nodded at Erik.

Erik nodded back.

Then she shined a penlight through Cathy's pupils and sclera. Then she shined the light in Cathy's mouth to check any weird signs of any infection. There weren't any. "You may give her the water now." She said to Marie.

Marie handed the canteen to the girl. Even though Cathy was visibly dehydrated, she only took a few reluctant sips of water.

Erik was smirking at Cathy now. "Congratulations." He said. "You are one of the only 2 people in the state of C3 that doesn't need to wear a gas mask anymore."

All eyes turned to Erik.

"Is that why you were breathing just fine when you came back with your helmet broken back in Sector 22?" Lisa said. "You've also taken the EpiFreeze?"

Erik shrugged. "I have."

Cathy frowned deeply at the statement.

Erik reached out and laid a comforting hand on her shoulder. "It's okay." He said. "You don't have to feel weird about it. Give yourself some time. You'll get used to it."

"Um...if you don't mind, can I ask something?" Marie said hesitantly.

"I know what you wanna ask." Erik said, stepping back and pulling a pack of cigarettes from his pocket. "You wanna know why we didn't try to spread the word about there being a cure for the virus, right?"

"Yes."

"There was no point in letting everyone know." Erik shrugged.

Clint frowned. "What do you mean no point?"