Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Wrong Sent

There was nothing to look at, but Yuchi couldn't take her eyes off from the locked screen of her phone.

She wondered. Should I? Or not?

Her mind kept on debating since last night. She had his number, had his name and the exact address of his workplace. She knows where to go and how to contact him but she doesn't quite know where to start or how she could properly approach Dr. Montellano.

Is asking him out for coffee too much as a thank you or is it okay? she thought. She wanted to ask someone in her family about it but she wouldn't like them prying. Of course, once one of them knew, it only means all of them already knew.

Minus Haley's mom, of course. But only because she was doing Marty a favor. If wala sigurong favor, baka alam na ni Chiwo, Uly, Tita Una, Ate Maddie, my mom, my dad . . . everyone.

"Gabbie, sabi pala ni Chiwo baklasin na raw natin mamaya 'yong mga decoration. Magpapa-general cleaning daw si Tita Una bukas." Chace said loudly from the stairwell.

His voice startled her back to her senses.

Yuchi blinked, fixing her attention on the movie Haley picked for them to watch. Of course, it's Barbie Rapunzel. She didn't need to wonder about the happenings anymore. Ilang beses na rin naman 'yong paulit-ulit na pinanood ng pamangkin niya.

She placed her phone down on the couch when Haley poked on arm. "Tita Mochi?"

"Yes, beebie?"

"What did Tito say?" she asked.

"Ah . . . he said they're going to take down the Christmas decors because it's cleaning day tomorrow."

Haley frowned. "Even the Christmas tree and gingerbread house?"

"Yes, pero it's not a gingerbread house, beebie. Belen 'yon."

"Really? The roof looks like it's made of cookies!"

Natawa naman si Yuchi. "Hindi po siya cookies."

"Are they going to remove my Santa socks, too?"

"Yes po, all Santa socks included."

"No!" Haley stood up, running to the stairs. "Dito lang Santa socks ko."

Sinundan niya si Haley sa may hagdan. "We have to remove it, Haley. Ibabalik naman ulit 'yan for next Christmas."

"But I still have one more wish for Santa na hindi niya na-answer. Maybe he'd come again to bring me my wish!"

"For next Christmas na lang ulit, beebie."

"But I want my wish now!" she argued.

"Ano ba 'yong new wish mo?"

"It's a secret. Sabi ni Mommy wishes don't come true when you say it out loud."

"Okay." Yuchi crouched to level with her niece. "Whisper mo na lang sa akin. I'll keep it a secret," she said.

She thought that maybe Haley just wants a new toy and she could get it for her later.

"Promise?"

"Yes po, promise," she said, raising her right hand.

"Okay." Haley asked for her to get closer so she could whisper in her ear.

"I wished for a baby brother."

Her eyes widened. "Baby broth—"

"Shh! No!" Haley immediately covered her mouth. "Quiet, Tita Mochi!"