Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Rapid Pulse Rate

Levi looked more confused by her answer. A soft wrinkling on his forehead appeared and his brief pause made Yuchi wonder if she said something wrong.

"Me?" he asked. "What do you mean me? Wala ako sa menu."

Her eyes widened at the question. "That's not what I meant!"

"Talaga?" Levi chuckled. "Kasi you pertained to me when I asked you again what you want from the menu." He awkwardly brushed his hand at the back of his head. "Nalito tuloy ako."

"Oh . . ." Yuchi blushed. She didn't mean it to come off that way. Nahiya at kinabahan lang talaga siya especially when Levi dragged his movements earlier. It was like he was thinking for too long and he seemed uncomfortable in her company. It made her heart thump and her fingers stiffen.

You, she recalled herself saying the words when it suddenly hit her, too.

Oh my god! Yuchi curled her fingers on the skirt of her dress.

Nakakahiya! She wanted to scream and shout at herself for being so embarrassing. Why did I say it that way?

"Are you okay?" Levi asked.

"Yes." She gulped. "Sorry. It's just embarrassing! I only want to say na it's up to you. Pareho na lang sa order mo."

"Ah!" Levi laughed nervously, nodding. "Oo nga naman!"

"Sorry," he added. "Slow lang saka ano, kinakabahan. O baka kinakabahan lang kaya slow. Actually, hindi ko na rin alam."

"What? Really?"

He's nervous too?

"Oo, hindi ba halata?"

Yuchi shook her head. I just thought he didn't like my company kaya ang tagal niyang sumagot kanina. "Not really." She huffed. "Actually, I'm nervous, too."

"Talaga?" Levi seemed surprised. "Ikaw din?"

"Yup. That's why I was rambling there."

"Oh . . . okay, fair enough." He nodded. "Hindi ko rin nahalata o baka dahil mas busy akong isipin 'yong kaba ko."

She smiled, showing him her hands. "Look, they're cold."

Levi reached for her palms and Yuchi flinched when he did, making him laugh.

Natawa na lang din siya.

"Kinakabahan ka nga," he remarked.

The chilly air around the cafe wasn't helping either. Mas lalong nilamig si Yuchi.

"I think it's not a good idea para um-order ng coffee. I might get hot chai latte instead. Okay lang sa 'yo?"

She nodded. "Yup. Chai's okay."

Levi stood up to order their food and Yuchi took the chance to puff out a deep breath. She had not noticed her heart beating in her throat. It was rapid, sucking out the air around her. But she was able to calm down for a bit when he approached the register.

It's quite odd. Especially when she's used to meeting and socializing with people she just met. As a doctor who encounter different and numerous patients everyday, and even breaking out some devastating news to them sometimes, this should come easy. It doesn't even come close in comparison.

But when Levi drew his eyes back to their table, all she could do was get lost in his quick stare. From afar, his ebony eyes were glimmering against the overhead lighting at the counter.