Chapter 1: Experiment Gambit

[Y/N POV, 17 years old]

My chest beat heavily, every pulse shaking the liquid that filled the container I sat in. Top Atlas tech from what I overheard. I tried opening my eyes, but everything was blurry. The liquid surrounding me was heavy, not water... more gelatinous. I don't think I could remember the texture of water even if I tried.. I focused on the figure that walked around my tank. A feminine figure in a dress... slim fit it looked like. She had her hair in an articulate bun that looked like a rising sun, and six beams of light below it. That's all I could make out. That and two glowing eyes. Burning red eyes, peered at me from the figure. I moved slightly, trying to break the glass, but the liquid made me move so slow.. I was so tired. So hungry. I wasn't always like this. I was a normal boy once. The memories felt like someone else's that had been implanted in mine, but I remember them vaguely.

[Flashback, 4 years ago]

"Y/N you stupid idiot!" My father yelled at me. Another empty beer bottle flew into the kitchen, smashing against the tile floor. "Where's my fucking food?!?"

"Almost ready sir!" I yelled panicked. "Just a few more spices and it should be just how you like it!"

"Good.." My father yawned from the living room. "Knew a useful shit rat like you would be nice to have around..." My heart hurt at the insult, but I suppressed my feelings, served the spaghetti onto a plate, and brought it to him, with a fresh cold beer as well. "Good boy. Now go on, go play with your friends or some shit, your mother will be home soon and I want to make sure our evening won't be interrupted."

"Another night in the shed?" I asked timidly.

"Don't talk back boy!" My father shouted, and back handed me. A bit of blood flew from my mouth as I fell onto the ground. "Of course it's another night in the shed, shit rat! Now get out of here."

I stood up, bowed slightly, and left through the kitchen door. I pulled my (F/C) hoodie over my head, trying to hide my face and bleeding lip. As I left I ran into my mother, literally. She was pale, had black hair, always wore a nice kimono. Everyone always complimented her and said she was the prettiest woman in the whole town. She looked down at me in my malnourished state, and bleeding lip. We stared at each other for a few moments before my mother began screaming.

"Well? Are you gonna say sorry, you little shit?" She asked, kicking me in the hip. I screamed in pain involuntarily. She pounced on the weakness immediately. "Oh, now you're going to cry?! Gods what a pathetic idiot we've raised for a son. Get out of my sight before I throw you in the time out room again." My mom scoffed at me, and spit on me as she moved around me and continued her way into the house.

My parents were never nice to me. My mother wanted an abortion, and I never knew my real dad, but, because of my grandparents, they decided to keep me. Few years after I was born, my grandparents were murdered. No one knows by who, but since we live so far from Vale, the city watch is the only ones who cared, and the technology wasn't in the small town to support a full murder investigation, so it was just sort of let go.

I walked swiftly through the streets, people waved to me as I timidly waved back. Kirin was a small town, and people thought I was some hero for some reason. Born on a certain day, at a certain time, in a certain place in Kuroyuri, and directly in the sunlight. The town Druid in Kirin had preached about it for years. Hard to ignore people gawking and pointing at me, some even bowed, thinking I was some chosen one. I just ignored the stares and walked to the back of my favorite store. It was a blacksmiths shop, run by a nice faunus man, I think he was a wolf faunus, but I never asked. I was afraid of hurting his feelings, being a kid and all, I didn't understand oppression, but I knew enough that he had seen hardships. His ears were clipped, and he had scars. A Schnee Dust Company brand riddled his face, blinding his right eye. He always wore the same outfit, green pants, no shirt, and a thick leather apron. I always called him Scar. He didn't ever talk much about his time in the mines in Mantle, but he was a smith there, and a very skilled one. Somehow made his way to Kirin, and made friends with me instantly, mostly because I always hung around his shop looking at weapons.