Chapter 4: Initiation

[Y/N POV]

"It's morning! It's morning! It's morning it's morning!!~~" An annoying girl yelled throughout the dance hall. I groaned and turned onto my other side, and felt a warmth move with me. I opened my eyes and saw a blanket covering me. I looked around as if to find the perpetrator. No one was seen. I rolled my eyes at myself. I turned to see if Blake was there, but she had already gotten up and packed her things. I stood up, stretched, folded the blanket neatly, and made my way to the bathroom. I did my morning ritual before exiting the bathroom and making my way to the locker room.

"Rental weapons... free weapons.. anything..." I muttered to myself, analyzing the room for any sign of weapons to use. Nothing. I huffed.

"Having trouble there?" Blake asked. I jumped and turned around, attempting to punch her. Once again, she lazily caught it, this time my fist was a bit closer to her face though.

"You've gotta stop startling me." I said.

"You should learn how to punch better, maybe you'll actually hit one of these times." Blake teased. I rolled my eyes.

"Ha. Ha." I fake laughed. "Yes, I'm having trouble by the way. There are no weapons to use, and I should probably have one around, just in case." I responded.

"Yeah, just in case." Blake teased again.

"I don't like all this teasing you're doing. What happened to the brooding Blake we all know and love? Wake up on the right side of the sleeping bag?" I asked.

"You could say that." Blake said. We stopped talking as the intercom kicked on above us.

"Would all first years please report to the cliff for initiation?" Glynda called out over the intercom.

"We'll finish this later." I said, pointing at my eyes and then her eyes. She smiled and followed me out of the locker room as we walked towards the cliff. The large crowd of students shuffled through the grounds, and followed a dirt bath behind the school to find the cliff which faced south. Below us, partially in the ravine which was so foggy seemed bottomless, was an ancient Valerian ruin which spanned the chasm. Old stairs could be seen carved into the side of the cliff, leading up to the top. Students mounted gray pads which overlooked the cliff. I picked one next to Blake and looked down into the pit below. My stomach dropped as I swallowed nervously. I've never been a big fan of heights.

"For years you have trained to become warriors, and today your abilities will be evaluated in the Emerald Forest." Ozpin interrupted my thoughts. I looked to him and Glynda Goodwitch, listening intently.

"Now." Glynda spoke. "I'm sure many of you have heard the rumor about the assignment of teams. Well, allow us to put an end to your confusion. Each of you will be given teammates. Today."

"What? Hooo.." Ruby groaned softly.

"These teammates will be with you for the rest of your time here at Beacon. So it is in your best interest to pair with someone whom you will work well." Ozpin explained.

"Uhh.." Ruby groaned again.

"That being said, the first person you make eye contact with after landing will be your partner for the next four years." Ozpin finished.

Ruby's eyes went wide as it looked like her world had just shattered. "What?!" She cried.

"See? I told you!" The orange haired girl told the black haired boy.

I chuckled a little bit, shrugging. If I had to pair with someone, I just hoped it would be Blake.

"After you've partnered up, make your way to the northern end of the forest. You will meet opposition along the way. Do not hesitate to destroy everything in your path.. or you will die." Ozpin continued from his last point.