And Just Like That, The Story Ends

"Alright, alright! Thank you, very much for that.. lovely, graphic, uh, memory, Faye. Thank you." Ashtray stood up quickly, silencing Faye from her toast to Ash and myself. Admittedly, it started off lovely, endearing even, but it took a rather hard left and.. well. Let's just say Ashtray and I are so putting new locks on our doors and soundproofing our room. I stared at the table blinking wide eyed. I shook it off harshly, internally laughing though, that Faye of all people would- Jesus who am I kidding? It's Faye..

"David?" Ashtray asks respectfully as David stood up, straightening his shirt before nodding to ready himself. He pauses, looking up at the darkening sky. He smiles.

"No father, really likes to see their children run off and get a boyfriend, much less the day they see them get married to said boyfriend.." Everyone turned quiet. Everyone who had been snacking or idly chitchatting turning to listen to my fathers message. Watching as he took a deep breath, his eyes longing with tears as he gave a nod of his head.

".. But Ashtray was different. I didn't think so at first. I thought he was.. I let my past blindness, and love for my daughter blind my judgment of a child who, was there for my daughter when I failed to be. He might have looked like a punk, but I'll tell ya.. Kid's got a heart of gold. And I know he'll treat my baby right till the day they die. Welcome to the family, son!" My dad and Ashtray have gotten close over the years, and that's not the first time he's called him son, but that's the first time Ashtray's really seem to be.. fully accepted, maybe. It seemed to really touch him, knowing my dad cared and approved of him so much.

"To Ashtray, and Marina! May you both live a long, healthy life together!" My dad toasts cheerfully. Everyone follows suit, my father making his way over knowing full well I'd want a hug after that.

"Congratulations. Love the both of you." He turns and gives Ash a hug as well, huge back pats as they embraced in a loving hug. It was really great seeing them like this, my father caring about the man I love, and Ashtray having another older male in his life besides just his brother, a father figure at that. Dads been teaching Ash all sorts of dude tips, even attempted to show him how to fix the window a few months back. Yeah.. that went about as well as you're picturing.

"Ay, yo! It's my turn now!" Fezco stood up quickly, not wanting to miss his chance. Ash and I shared a look, not sure which direction this would go in.

"Man.. Seems like just yesterday yous and Jewels was racing into the store. Talking at the party.. You were the best friend I didn't know I needed, Gem. And you made for an excellent babysitter when Ashtray was being a bit too much like.. Ashtray. I shoulda known y'all woulda ended up together. Man, when I first met you, I'd knew you and Ash would hit it off.. For real.. " Fezco smiles as he reminisce, I'm sure a few of us thinking back. His eyes shift from Ash and I to the rest of the people.

"But I'll tell yous what, it's damn near impossible not to hit it off with Marina. Found that out when I found myself befriending her just days later. She became my little buddy, and I could't have asked for a better friend than her. Marina, yous the best thing that could have happened to lil dude, to any of us. I'm glad to call you my best friend, and my sister. More than anything, I love you. Both'a y'all."

Fezco's words made everyone show signs of sentiment and approval, a few clapped, a few were vocal. Ashtray and I showed him love and appreciation for the words and love he had to offer us. Doing the same to the others who had something to say about either or both of us. Some were emotional, like my dads, Fezco's, even Rue. As she talked about the guilt she felt about my strayed path when we were younger. But also how were able to overcome that and patch a new road for a better life. And we did it ourselves, with the help of our loved ones, of course, but more than that, we fought the urge to go back. To seek out that soothing, empty, seemingly forgiving place of darkness we both knew we so badly wanted to return to. The fight is far from over, but it's easier as time goes on. We get more involved in our everyday lives, our loved ones help keep us distracted.