Chapter 11: Party Time

What kind of teenager didn't like parties?

I'm sure there were plenty of kids like me who weren't comfortable being in large crowds dancing and maybe drinking. I kind of wished there was alcohol at Finn's party, though he said there wouldn't be. Maybe beer would help with my jitters.

It wasn't that I didn't like parties. I guess I just didn't have that much opportunity to understand why I should like them. I had been to only three parties during my first two years of high school--two were Lotty's birthdays, and one was a party for my mother because she was promoted at work. I didn't think the latter counted because most guests were aunties.

But to be honest, I was kind of feeling excited about this one.

"I'll text you," Lotty said to her mother in the driver's seat through the rolled-down window.

"Ten PM," Lotty's mother, the older but still gorgeous version of her--brunette hair and hazel eyes, said for the third time. Ten PM was the time she would come to pick us up from the party.

I stared from the curb as Lotty haggled with her mother. I wondered why some children were lucky enough to get their parents good looks while I wasn't. My mother was beautiful, and some would say that I looked like her. But a lot of times, I didn't feel like it. Either people were lying, or I just didn't know how to bring that beauty out of me.

"Ten. P. M." Lotty's mother said with finality.

Lotty grunted. "Ok," she said as she straightened and backed away from the car's door.

"I'll see you two later," Lotty's mother waved at me from the driver's seat as she put the shifter into drive and slowly rolled onto the street.

I waved back with one hand while holding a paper bag--Finn's gift--in the other.

"Well, you heard her. We're outa' here by ten PM." Lotty turned to me, disappointed. "At least you'll be home and still have time to read, huh?"

"Sorry?" I said. It was kind of true. If we got home before midnight, I would very likely be reading a book. I started to walk up the road where faint music was coming from, but Lotty didn't move. "Everything OK?" I asked.

She stood there and stared at me, a large box wrapped in blue with gold glitter in both her hands. "I just want you to know that you are not being held here like a prisoner. Let me know if you want to go, and I can call my mom to pick us up. I don't care if it's not ten PM yet."

I smiled. "I think I'll be fine. Come on," I said, jerking my head up the road and starting to walk.

Lotty paced beside me and nudged me with a shoulder. "So, what did you get him?"

I was hesitant to say, but I answered anyway. "A hoodie with an I-heart-the-internet print on the front."

"Yeah, right," Lotty said. She didn't believe me. "Come on. Tell me."

"That is what I got him," I told her.

"Nooo," she said the word, exaggeratedly drawing out the O.

I nodded.

"No," she said again, her voice turned high-pitched.

"Yes," I pressed.

Lotty laughed. "Oh, that's hysterical. He's going to love the joke."

I raised a brow at her. "Really? I was actually trying to annoy him."

"Annoy him? Why?"

To be honest, I couldn't remember why. I guessed I was just pissed that time when he kept popping in my head. Well, that wasn't his fault. But he also said he was an internet guy, so that started it. I just shrugged without answering Lotty.