bus rides & him

SAINA HATED TUESDAYS

With a soft huff, she leaned her chin against her palm, gazing outside the window. The trees and the houses speeded past. Her phone had lost it's battery and the skirt of her uniform was damp from sweat. But that's not why she hated the day. Or Tuesdays in general.

Her frustration stemmed from the fact that she couldn't ogle at her crush.

She didn't know his name and had only seen him a week back. Due to her choosing integrated coaching classes rather than normal school classes, she had to board a second bus at 11:30 AM after coming to school at 7:30 AM, and go to her coaching center.

It was on the second bus ride to her coaching center that she noticed a broad, handsome back of a boy, who was laughing with his friend, seated 2 seats in front of her. She couldn't clearly see what he looked like, but from his back and the partial view of his face when he turned towards his friend, she could confidently conclude that he was a handsome boy.

Indeed, he was. She confirmed this the day later, after managing to catch a good look at his face. Since then, she had harbored a crush on him. She found out through rigorous investigation and stalking around in the corridors of her school, that he was a student of the neighboring section to hers. She was in section A. He was in section B.

Tuesday happened to be the only day in the week, in which the students would spend a full day at school instead of going to coaching classes. While all her other classmates would sigh in relief every Tuesday and declare that it was their favourite day of the week, Saina was a stark contrast because she couldn't get to see her crush in the bus.

It had been a week.

Saina hadn't dared approach him. She was content, sitting in the backseat of the bus and staring at him. She was okay with her crush remaining a secret to herself. And her over-observant friends.

Said over-observant friends were seated beside her, moaning and lamenting about the voluminous syllabus.

"Dude, magnetism kinda sucks."

"Not just kinda, it absolutely sucks."

"But alternating current is even worse, I tell you."

"No, he's right."

"But dude, you wouldn't believe this. Gaurav was telling me the other day that he found the first term syllabus for physics easy. Maths as well."

"But that dude is too good at PCM, man..."

"What did you just say?!" Saina burst into the conversation. She stared at her friend, Gopal, who blinked.

"Gaurav said that the first term syllabus for-"

"You talked to Gaurav?!"

Gopal blinked again. "Well...yeah?"

"And you didn't tell me?!"