Chapter 5

When I was 5, I wanted to be a ballerina. I loved how they twirled around the stage in perfect sync with the dynamic orchestrations. The flawless movements, the passion, and all the things in between a concert had my attention and love.

By the time I was ten years old, I knew I was going to be a dancer and took dance classes even more seriously. I was a hardworking student who lived and breathed ballet.

At fifteen, life threw me a curveball, and I never felt so lost. All the plans and dreams I had went down the drain and I didn't know what to think, what to do, where to go. My father turned into a complete stranger and I knew I had to focus on Marcus, who was just an innocent little boy.

Ballet classes or anything related to my education was put on hold, and my only focus was to leave that house and get a job and a safe place for me and my brother.

But when you have zero work experience and no money in your bank account, you learn to take what life offers you.

In my case, life showed me some mercy when I was eighteen and Isaac, Kayla's grandfather, helped me get a job with his best friend's son, Bruce. First as a waitress, and then as a bartender when I turned twenty-one.

Bruce is the proud owner of Sugar Rush and one of the best people I know. He had no reason to give me a job, as he had more than enough people working for him. Not only did he help me when I needed it most, but he has also been pushing me to keep investing in my education and professional future.

Elected one of the best bars on the East Coast, Sugar Rush is famous for its signature drinks, friendly atmosphere, and unique décor. The place is the embodiment of sophistication with its high ceilings, black granite, and plush leather. It has the perfect combination of cozy and trendy and it's also where I spend most of my days.

It's definitely a place that always feels like home.

Sunday starts as usual, and the moment I step inside the bar, I hear my phone beep with a message. I'm making my way to Bruce's office, but pause when I see it's from Kayla.

KAYLA: Still hungover! Remind me to never go clubbing with you again.

ME: You had four drinks. You were not even drunk.

KAYLA: My head hurts :(

ME: Drink lots of water and take it easy today, sweetcheeks.

KAYLA: Are you at work? You said you had a meeting with Bruce before your shift.

ME: Yep. Heading to his office.

KAYLA: Argh! I hate that you never have a hangover.

ME: LOL Can't help you're so lightweight.

KAYLA: *rolling eyes* Are our plans to check Tyler's gym tomorrow still on?

ME: Do I have a choice?

KAYLA: Nope. Let's meet in front of the building at 9-ish. I have a quick meeting at 8, but it will take only around 20 minutes. I'll head to the gym as soon as it's over.

ME: We'll just check things out, Kay. No crazy business, ok?

KAYLA: You got it! TTYL.

Sighing, I walk the short distance to the back of the bar. Meeting Tyler yesterday was definitely unexpected, but I can't say learning he owned a freaking MMA gym was a surprise. The guy's body is a work of art, and I've never even seen him shirtless.

Still, it doesn't mean I want anything to do with that place.

I find Bruce in his office, frowning at a pile of papers in front of him. His longish curly brown hair is falling over his green eyes, and he looks so engrossed he doesn't see me standing by the door.

He just turned thirty-five a couple of months ago, and I've been calling him pops to mess with him ever since. The truth, though, is that he's never looked so handsome.

His broad shoulders and lean body have always drawn the attention of the ladies, and his flirty personality has earned him great tips when he steps in to tend the bar.

I confess my eighteen-year-old self had a tiny crush on him, but over the years he became the older brother I never had, and someone I look up to.

Knocking on his already open door, I smile when he runs a hand through his hair. "You need a haircut, pops"

"Have a seat, funny bones." He collects the papers in front of him, resting his elbows on the desk. "Colby is leaving for Spain in four weeks."

"What?" I gasp, my eyes widening in surprise. Colby is our manager and Bruce's right arm. He got engaged to his long-term Spanish girlfriend at the beginning of the year, but from what we'd assumed, she was the one moving here to live with him.

"I know" He sighs, his full attention on me. "As much as I'm happy for him, it totally messed with my plans and that talk we had about your promotion to assistant bar manager."

"Oh..." My shoulders drop and my heart sinks.

"I want you to take his place."

My brows shot up and his eyes twinkle with a spark, as if what he just said hadn't just blown my mind. "You what?" I whisper.

"I know it's not what we had planned, but we only have three weeks to work with, Andie. I've tried to convince him to stay for at least another couple of months, but he's already made up his mind."

Taking a deep breath, I try to process his offer. I thought I was working my way up to things ... But a manager? I don't even have a college degree. "I'm not sure I'm the right person for the job," I say.

"Andie... You've been with me since you were eighteen. I've seen you handle opening and closing duties, manage the cash flow, and ensure things run down smoothly with the customers more than once when needed."

"I know... But I don't have management experience, and we need at least two people tending the bar, especially on the weekends."

"I'll hire another bartender you can train, and Colby and I will train you. I just had a call with him, and he's okay with training you during the following weeks."

His matter-of-fact tone lets me know he's convinced this is the right decision. However, I've learned to read him too well over the years to know he's worried about how we're going to deal with things here now that Coby's leaving.

"Bruce..." I shake my head, not knowing what to say. His proposition sounds like a dream, but one I'm not sure I'm the best fit for.

"I need you, Andie. I'll go crazy if you say no." He holds my gaze, and I hate the nervous look on his face. He's been there for me countless times, and all I want is to help him, but becoming a manager so soon was not part of my plans.

"I thought I'd still have time to send Marcus off to college before we got to this point. I know what you're offering is a great opportunity, but I'd practically be living here, Bruce. I'm afraid I won't be able to be there for Marcus and also carry on with all the responsibilities this position entails."

"You know I care about you and him like family." He holds my gaze. "I promise we'll work something out. But I'm freaking out here, Andie. We have something good going on with the bar now. We are all working in perfect sync. I can't risk hiring someone new to replace Colby and mess with this. Everybody trusts and respects you, and you know the ins and outs of this place..."

I close my eyes for a quick second, the desperation in his voice pleading his case enough for me to throw caution to the wind. "I'll do it," I blurt, noticing how his shoulders relax in relief.

God, I have no idea how to make all of this work, but I trust Bruce enough to know he understands Marcus is my number one priority.

I just hope I don't let either of them down.

_____

A/N: A spoiler about the next chapter: Monday morning + A sexy MMA fighter

Please remember to vote and follow me here @CelesteABrook for news and updates. <3

XOXO

Celeste