Chapter 17

As I drive to work, a sense of accomplishment washes over me. I've got something good going on at work, I took the first step to get Marcus's custody and I loved my first self-defense class earlier today.

Having a woman as confident as Alice teaching us we can learn how to protect ourselves was extremely empowering. The love for what she does and her passion to empower and help other women were clear in her voice and actions, and it really put me at ease.

She started talking about how to anticipate an attack and about the little things we can do to avoid it. She was basically saying what Tyler had told me about being aware of our surroundings and our stances, but with more details and practical examples. I know I have a long road ahead of me when it comes to all of this, but I confess I'm really excited.

Adding to all of this, there is Tyler. He fascinates me in ways I have never thought were possible. It's like when I'm with him, he has the power to make me forget the one hundred things going on in my life and all I can think about is how good he makes me feel.

All I know is that we have to talk after today, and I'm looking forward to our date tomorrow. I still have to talk to Marcus about him, and Kayla has texted me earlier to keep her in the loop, but I just want to keep things to myself for a little while.

The moment I arrive at Sugar Rush, Bruce and Josh are waiting for me with a couple of samples of craft beers lined up on the bar.

"Just in time to help us choose." Bruce offers me a glass of a Pale Ale.

"I thought they were bringing them tomorrow?" I swirl the beer around in the glass before bringing it up to my nose.

"They had to make another delivery nearby and asked if they could bring it today." He watches me as I hold the glass up to a light and tilt it a little before finally taking a sip.

"Well, let's see. "My eyes meet his as I let the cold liquid hit my lips, gums, teeth, and all around my tongue.

He is watching me intently, a little grin playing on his lips. He insisted Josh and I went with him and Colby to a couple of brewery tasting rooms some years ago, and he has joked I have never just drank beer normally ever again. He jokes I have to do apply the techniques we've learned to every new beer I try.

"So?" He chuckles when I sniff my glass again.

"Delicious." I roll my eyes, making Josh laugh.

"Come on, Andie. This shit tastes horrible." Josh shakes his head, a full smile on his lips.

"I honestly can't understand how people seem to enjoy it either," Bruce adds. "But we're here to sell and you're the one in charge to choose some good ones here since Josh is useless and Colby is not coming today."

"Right." I take another sip, confirming that the beer is, indeed, delicious. "This should be a beer that drinks easily and highlights its classic American hops flavors and aromas like..."

"Like grass, right?" Josh cuts me in, and I let out an involuntary chuckle.

"All right. You guys can go. Let me work my magic here." I wink at Bruce, pouring myself a glass of kettle Sours.

"Right." Josh takes off his apron. "I'm off, guys."

"See you tomorrow," Bruce says as I wave to Josh and join him behind the bar.

"How many samples did you actually try?" I ask him, and he smiles.

"None." Bruce pours me another sample. "I was waiting for you to arrive."

I can't help but roll my eyes at his smug face. "What would you do without me?"

"Hopefully, we'll never have to find out." Bruce gets himself a regular beer and checks something on his phone. "Look, I know you have tomorrow off but Colby might be leaving to Spain a couple of days sooner than we expected, and we wanted to discuss a few things related to some suppliers he was thinking about hiring."

"Oh?" I turn to him. "Tomorrow?"

"Yeah." He looks from his phone to me and my eyes widen in surprise.

"Uhh... It's that I have a... uh... a date tomorrow." I take a deep breath, not missing the way his eyes widen.

"Oh?" He clears his throat. "Uh, okay. I can talk to Colby and we can arrange something on Friday morning maybe?"

"Absolutely. I'm totally free on Friday morning." I say, and he nods, his eyes searching mine.

"Do I know this guy?" he asks, trying to sound nonchalant but I can see he's curious. I've been on a handful of dates since we met, but we all knew it was never anything serious.

"Uh... Actually, yes... You do know him." I chuckle, letting the realization that Tyler is not a regular guy, but a freaking UFC champion finally sink in. How the heck do I explain him to my friends?

"Well, you got me curious." Bruces leans on the counter, his arms crossing over his chest. "Who's the lucky guy?"

"He's... uh... an MMA fighter," I say. "Maybe you have heard of him. His name is Tyler... uh I'm not sure what his last name is."

"Tyler Mcgregor?" His voice raises in shock. "The guys mentioned he was here having a drink right after we were closing one night. It was my day off, so I didn't...I mean, he asked you out?"

"Yeah..." I shrug, not wanting to go into details of how Tyler and I met. "We got to talk and we're having dinner tomorrow."

"Uh... I just... Isn't he married or something?" Bruce looks into my eyes as if trying to decipher an enigma.

"Recently divorced, actually," I say, wishing Tyler and I had talked more about this. First my father, and now Bruce. I guess we'll have to tackle the subject soon.

"Right..." Bruce nods. "Just... You know, be careful out there. If something goes wrong and you need a ride or something, you know you can call me, right?"

"You don't need to go all big brother on me, okay? I'm a big girl, relax." I squeeze his shoulder before pulling my phone from my pocket so I can take some notes about the craft beer samples in front of me.

"Yeah." He gives a small smile. "Right." He nods before walking to his office. 

_____

A/N: Thank you so much for your support, guys! Please remember to vote!

XOXO

Celeste