Chapter 15

My talk with Mike, the lawyer Kayla recommended, went well yesterday. He said cases like mine are not common, but if we're able to prove my father is an alcoholic and that I have the means to provide for Marcus, our chances of winning are high.

He explained to me Marcus that because Marcus is almost sixteen and now I have a much more stable job, things are easier even though not guaranteed. He recommended I find a new place to live soon, though, saying my small one-bedroom apartment doesn't scream I have what it takes to be Marcus's guardian. But apart from that, there's nothing much I'll need to do.

All I know is that I liked how confident he sounded and that I'm holding onto that so I don't go crazy. We have another meeting next week, so I force myself to sit down and wait, trusting things will work out.

I'm not allowing the voice in the back of my mind telling me I'll fail Marcus to win today.

*****

As a new day unfolds, I feel a rush of excitement as I step into Tyler's gym. While part of it is because I have my first self-defense class today, I can't deny that I'm also looking forward to seeing him, especially after his earlier text asking me to stop by his office first.

Because who am I kidding? I can't stop thinking about him.

"Morning, Amy," I greet the gym's receptionist with a smile.

"Hi, Andie." She gives me a smile of her own. "Are you excited for your first class?"

"A little nervous, to be honest."

"You'll love Alice," she says. "She's the best."

"I can't wait." I nod. "By the way, is Tyler in? He asked me to stop by his office before my class."

"He is," she says, her eyes darting to her computer before going back to me. "He is just finishing his morning routine, but he told me he's waiting for you. Just get the elevator to the third floor."

"Thanks. I nod, following her directions.

And let me tell you, nothing could have prepared me for the sight I'm greeted with.

The entire space is converted into a training area with various equipment and machines, including a large black ring at the center. 

A ring holding a shirtless and sweaty Tyler who's throwing punches and kicks at a man as big as him as if there was no tomorrow. He's obviously skilled and uses his body as a weapon.

Holding the wall behind me for support, I watch him in shock and amazement. He's a machine. Completely focused and determined to take his opponent down.

Not knowing what to do, I keep my eyes on him, unable to turn away. He's the epiphany of strength and control, and a pool of mixed feelings invades my heart once again as I watch him fight.

Why does he do it?

What drives him to push himself like this?

Does he get pleasure by knowing he can take a man as big as him down?

Is it the thrill of asserting dominance?

Is it about control?

He's a great guy. I obviously can't deny that. But seeing him kicking this other's guy ass so effortlessly is a lot for me to comprehend. And from what I'm seeing right now fighting is a huge part of who Tyler is.

"That's all you got?" The other guy taunts Tyler as he takes a step back.

"As if I hadn't just kicked your sorry ass." Tyler scoffs as he walks to the side of the ring to get a bottle of water.