9. The Morrigan

Mor:

There was something familiar about the girl in Azriel's arms.

I watched as he took her up to one of the spare bedrooms, as he tucked her in and demanded that Madja heal her. Not only was his behaviour strangely territorial, but the girl...

I would never forget eyes like hers.

But it just can't be...

But the Hybernian kill marks my own magic has revealed could only mean one thing.

But she's dead.

Mulling it over by the fireplace, I took a sip of my red wine, watching the flames dance across the logs.

A memory comes to mind, and for the first time in 300 years, I replay it in my head.

———

"If we attack the left flank, it'll weaken the infantry and shield wall enough for force it open, and create an opening." Seraphina spoke, her voice commanding and clear.

"And who do you oppose attacks them?" Her sentry, Meredith asks.

I meet Meira's merciless stare across at the back of the war tent, arms crossed and jaw clenched.

'She knows her mother would send her and her battalion to their deaths in a heartbeat if it meant victory for everyone else,' I think to myself. 'It doesn't matter that she is her daughter.'

"Well I would suggest some of our most trained, most deadly and quick enough to make it back around the mount and valley to reinforce our troops."

I watch as Meira clenches her fist, her brother resting a hand on her shoulder and whispering something in her ear that does nothing to calm the storm that is brewing.

She's not pissed about being sent to the frontlines, but for her battalion - they are fresh, new, after nearly all of the previous fighters died when Meira was injured and her mother took over.

I don't think Meira has ever forgiven her.

"So Merianna's riders." Seraphina finishes.

Meira turns away and storms out, and I hear Meredith mutter under her breath, "That's going to go down well."

Seraphina , having her fae hearing, replied "It's not my fault. People die in wars. And that day, it was Meirana's battalion." She says, having no care about the kind of emotional damage she did for her daughter that day.

"What about Morrigan?" I raise my head at the sound of my name. "We could add her into the battalion."

"However, the dragons-"

"She could ride on Equinara. Cassandra's badly wounded, so the dragon-"

"May still reject her." Alessandra, one of the other riders for the winged cavalry argued. "The dragons are picky, and the only reason they allow riders on their back is for their own protection after Hybern is defeated."

More of the commanding generals argued that I would be better with the Calvary, with the Illyrians and Rhys but the final decision was up to Seraphina.

"The it's decided. Morrigan will ride with the Dawn."

I leave the Valkyrie to it, chasing Meira's shadow as she storms out towards the barracks to deliver the death sentence.

"Meira wait!"

"What is it Mori?" She says emotionally.

"Your mother has-"