13. Dreams & Nightmares

Azriel:

I know my dreams. But this is different; like I'm seeing it from afar and not through my own eyes, not my dream. It feels special, unique, and the shadows are screaming, look, watch, listen, it's her, it's our-

A flash of light chestnut curls; a crown with diamonds and sapphires shaped with ivy and flowers rest upon the girl's head. She looks into the mirror, biting her lip as she fusses with the black skirts layered over each other. She's beautiful, with her bright blue eyes and stunning features-

It's Meira.

^^ Meira's dress insp0 ^^

I watch as the door to her dressing room opens to another male; an Illyrian with dark curls and the same bright blue eyes. Few scars marr his face, but looking closely he has the same nose, same shapes face as Meira. He closes the door behind him before leaning against it, meeting her gaze in the mirror,

"You don't have to do this." He whispers, "Elia can choose anyone to be her Protégé. You don't want this."

Meira stares into the mirror for a long while, adjusting her corset which beautifully showed off her curves, "She said you would say that." She says quietly.

"And I'm right! Get them to send someone else, Meira. Not. You."

I watch as her expression falls, breaks, and I feel something inside of her start to shatter.

"And who else will they send, hmm? Pregnant Elise, widowed Felisha with twins and a new born? Or Griselda, with her new mate? I have nothing to loose anymore, Sirius. They do. So let me be the sacrifice to save them."

"No! I won't allow it." His voice breaks, too. "Please."

A thick tension settles over them, thick enough to be cut with a knife. His shadows dance in her light, a couple running up her arms and around her wrist like a bracelet. She strokes them fondly.

"Come here," She turns around towards him and holds her arms open, and he pulls her into a tight hug. "No matter what happens, I love you. And I'm sorry." I watch as she reaches towards the vein on his neck as squeezes it, causing him to go limp on the ground.

She lays him on the ground, careful of his wings. "Don't die". She says simply, before she abruptly turns towards the door, where once of the oldest fae I've ever seen stands in the doorway.

Wrinkles like those of a shirt you can never get out line her face, sunken yellow eyes which immediately find Sirius's unconscious body on the floor. White hair tied back tightly in a bun at the back of her head almost makes her look sterner and stricter that she already looks.

Meira instantly sinks to the floor in a curtsy. "Elia."

"Rise, my Protégé. We have much to do. Follow." And with that, the woman swiftly turns on her heals, black robes flowing behind her like a starless night.

"The need of the many outnumbers the need of the few," Meira recited under her breath before she, too, existed the dressing room without looking back.

~~~~~

The dream shifts, and now I'm in a windowless, doorless cell. The walls are lined with all kinds of weapons glinting sliver in the darkness, reflected only by 2 torches on either side.

But in the middle...

In the middle lies a fae with white hair, paler skin and her body...

Cuts and whip marks and burns all mar her body like unforgiving scars, and many likely will. Ugly iron manacles chain her wrists and ankles to the table, and she doesn't move. Only her chest, rises and falls.

She's alive.

But it's only when I step closer I realise i know her.

It's Meira.

And then Tylen suddenly winnows in, grin a sadistic smirk and a fresh set of daggers in his hand.

And never, ever had I never wanted to be somewhere else than here.

I can't do this. Can't watch it.

But I'm powerless to do something, anything about it.

"Save her," An ancient voice whispers into my head. Again, in a different males voice, "Save my sister."

"She is the light that will save the darkness. The Seer LIES."

And when the first dagger is stabbed into her flesh, when she opens her mouth with terror - I do one thing I haven't done in a long time.

When she lets out a hoarse scream, so do I-

~~~~

"Azriel! Azriel!" Shadows that aren't mine flood into my room, switching on all the lights and suddenly there's a panicked Rhys in front of me, violet eyes searching mine worriedly.

"I'm alright." I say hoarsely and I begin to cough, and someone presses a glass of water into my hands.

I down it in one go. "I'm fine," I say.

"Az, your screams..."

"I'm fine, Rhys." I say, more confidently that the last, and chuck off the bedsheets and grab the knife I keep under my pillow. Gods, even the sight of that...

Rhys can sense it, even if I can't. "Do you want to talk about it?" He asks gently, but I shake my head.

"Go back to bed, Rhys. I'll be fine."

He gives me a look, but nevertheless he leaves, but not before adding, "I'll be here when you need me to." Before disappearing back to his mate

I nod. "You always are," I say into the lonely darkness.

I had my theories on Elain's latest prophecy.

Now I just had to prove them right.

I look up at the sky, my curtains drawn back from the balcony. "I'll get you out, Meira. I promise."