Chapter 16

Barbara

I could not decide what to get him.

Under the guise of shopping for Christmas gifts, I brought him along to the mall in order to see if he'd like anything.

The mall was busy. I had thought I was late in buying gifts, but it looked like everyone was still shopping for the holidays.

We walked past a flower shop that displayed all sorts of plants. A miniature tree caught my attention. A bonsai! How cute.

"Like Bonsais?" Ryan asked.

I glanced at him. I'd slowed down without even realizing it. "Yeah. I always thought they were beautiful, but I never got around to getting one. I'm afraid they'd die on me. I already have Eleanor watching over the pets whenever I'm gone, I don't want to add more to her plate."

"Hmm." He nodded and smiled at me. "When you decide to retire, let me know and I'll gift you one. You'll be free enough to take care of it then."

I smiled back. I wondered if he would still be in my life years from now. I hoped so. We walked ahead. Every time we walked past women, they'd give Ryan a second glance. I understood the feeling.

"Who are you shopping for?" he asked, pulling his beanie down over his ears. He was wearing a camel sweater, jeans and a white beanie. I thought he looked cute in the white beanie, but the way the sweater molded to his muscles and broad shoulders made him look anything but cute. Handsome. Strong. Rugged. Lethally attractive.

"Eleanor, John and Max," I replied.

I already picked up Jeremy's gift, the newest edition of a game he played on his gaming console. The new version was set to go out next month, but I knew the CEO of the company and he gave me a copy earlier than everyone else.

The hammock I'd promised him would be for his birthday.

Ryan glanced at me, frowning. "Max?"

"The friend who set us up, remember?" I said, standing by a display window of a designer store. "Max Sydney."

"Wait, your friend is Maximillian Sydney?"

I nodded as we got into the store. Eleanor liked collecting designer bags. I did not understand the fascination. They were just bags. But Eleanor liked them, and I could afford them. So I got her one every Christmas, along with another gift.

Ryan whistled. "I wasn't aware you were that close with Sydney."

I understood his surprise. Max Sydney was one of the richest people on the planet. He could probably buy all of my assets many times over.

Ryan chuckled. "So that's why my mother wanted me to go on that date."

"She probably thought he was setting you up with one of his pretty granddaughters," I said, checking out a small white bag. "But you got stuck with me instead."

"Thank God for that," he said, picking up a wallet.

These words that he said so offhandedly, as if they were a fact, meant a great deal to me.

The pristine white interior of the store displayed several bags, shoes and accessories. Both for men and women. I decided on a bag for Eleanor and got John jewelry for his ear piercing. As the clerk rang my purchases, Ryan joined me with a women's bag.

"Yours?" I asked him.

"Very funny," he said, putting the bag on the counter. "It's for Miranda. Since she'll be spending Christmas with us, I figured I should get her a gift."