Chapter 19

Ryan

I parked the car and got out, several vehicles already lined up the driveway. I reached Barbara just as she was about to step down. My breath caught in my throat at her beauty. She looked nothing short of marvelous tonight.

"Thank you," she said softly, taking my offered hand. I closed the door, locked the car and tucked her hand in my arm.

"I should probably warn you," I said. "My mother might hound you with questions."

Her eyes smiled. "I see. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree."

I chuckled. "She's not as bad as I am, but only because she takes propriety as an English lady too seriously."

"Your mother is a lady?" she asked.

"That's what she likes to say," I said. "I think her great grandfather was a viscount or something."

"So you're an aristocrat," she said.

"Why, of course," I said, making my British accent thicker. "Did you think I was a commoner? How very lowering."

Barbara laughed. An actual laugh that dimpled her cheeks and put a twinkle in her eyes. I felt oddly accomplished.

We made it inside the house. The living room was empty of its usual furniture, except for the giant christmas tree in the center. The arch connecting it to the dining room showed the table set up with various delicacies and drink options.

One of the house staff took our coats.

"Was that a butler?" Barbara whispered as we moved to the living room.

I smiled at the playful look in her eyes. "Maybe."

"Ryan!" My mother's voice greeted me. The living room held about two dozen other people, all family members and friends.

Dressed in a long black dress and wearing her topaz earrings and necklace she inherited from her mother, Elizabeth Davies looked every inch the aristocratic lady she was raised to be. She kissed the air near my cheeks and turned to Barbara.

"Miss Owens, I assume."

She knew very well who she was. Barbara held out her hand, spine straight and face devoid of expression.

"Yes. A pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Davies."

The two women shook hands. My mother led the way inside, asking about Jeremy. She introduced me and Barbara to people as we made rounds around the room.

When we were alone again, Barbara swirled the glass of sparkling water in her hand and asked, "should I have curtsied?"

I chuckled. "You should have. My mother was very insulted by your breach of protocol."

Her lips kicked up at the corners, right as my phone rang. I pulled it out of my pocket, saw Miranda's name on the screen and sighed. She knew where I was. Why in the world was she calling me now?

My first thought was Jeremy, so I looked at Barbara. "Sorry, I have to take this. I'll be back soon."

She nodded, taking a sip of her drink.

I stepped out of the living room and into my mother's study. The music and conversation sounds dimmed as I closed the door behind me.

"What is it? Is Jeremy alright?" I asked as soon as I picked up the phone.

"Um- yeah," she said. "He's fine. I was just wondering when you'll be back?"

"Why?" I asked.

"Well... to keep an eye on Jeremy," she said. "I'm going out with a friend in a little bit."