Chapter 24

Ryan

"What is it?" I asked, closing the door to Jordan's study behind me. The gray weather outside the window cast gloomy shadows on the hardwood interior.

Not taking a seat, Jordan passed me his phone. "Jenny found this earlier when she was scrolling through social media."

I watched the video. My heart dropped to my knees. I plopped down on the couch as the video replayed.

"How long has this been going around?" I asked, my voice coming out rough.

"A few days now," Jordan said, walking to sit behind his desk. I stared at nothing, the phone limp in my hand.

"I knew you were joking then," Jordan continued, his expression apologetic. "But not everyone knows you as well as I do."

I cursed, gripping the back of my head, my thoughts a mess.

"At first, I didn't understand why people would watch the video. Sure, you're a little famous because of Miranda, but only people in the business circle know Barbara. The general public doesn't really care."

"There have been a few articles about us, weeks ago," I said, closing my eyes. "But like you said, people don't really know of her."

"Jenny told me that since Miranda was back in New York, people have been speculating," Jordan said. "Her fans and whatnot dug up your relationship with Barbara and everything known about her. I think she'll be a notorious figure for a few weeks to come."

"She must've seen the video," I said, speaking mostly to myself. "That's why she decided to break things up."

Jordan raised his brow. "I thought you two weren't actually dating."

"We weren't," I said. "But there was something there... I was just waiting for the right time... I wanted to get the situation with Miranda and Jeremy under control before committing to Barbara and..."

And everything just sounded like excuses.

"And now Miranda wants you back."

"Damn it." I rose and paced the office, my shoes clicking on the hardwood floor.

"Ryan, man, what the fuck are you doing?"

I stopped and glared at Jordan. "What do you mean?"

"You know exactly what I mean. What are you doing with Miranda? Are you seriously going to get back with her?"

"I don't know," I said.

"Even though you're head over heels for Barbara?"

"I'm not," I said, anger coloring my tone.

Jordan simply stared at me. I paced some more. Jordan knew me, probably better than I knew myself. And I knew he was right.

I threw up my hands. "What do you want me to do? Jeremy wants his mother back."

Jordan sighed. "Jeremy can have his mother, and you can have Barbara. It doesn't have to be one way or the other."

My laugh held no humor. "Do you think Barbara will be fine with Miranda living with us?"

"She'll be living with you?"

I rubbed my face. "Look, Barbara is a great woman, she's been through a lot already. I don't want to drag her into my mess of a life. It's better that we stopped things now."

"Do you really believe that?"

No. No I didn't believe that. I may not be in love with Barbara now, but I was on the way there. It was better to retreat early.