Chap 25: All the blame

NOAH

The walk home is silent. I only noticed Abby was sleeping when I heard her snore lightly. She must've been really tired or maybe I just give good piggy back rides. Yeah I'll take the last one.

I walk up the porch and to my house. I don't want to tell her mum she fell and sprained her ankle and that it was my fault. I'd rather handle Abby myself.

It's just me at home which makes it even better. I carry her into the house and take her upstairs to my room. Which is a lot of work because Abby isn't actually so 'light'.

I slowly and carefully place her on my bed, so as not to wake her up. I smile a bit when I see how peaceful she looks.

I go back downstairs to get a pack of ice from the fridge and head back up. I take her shoes off and then her socks. I wince when I see how red it is. I place the ice pack on her ankle and she jitters a bit so I look up at her. Her brows crease, showing how disturbed she is.

I'm so stupid for scaring her like that. What was I thinking? Now I got her leg busted and she can barely walk. I sit next to her with a sigh escaping my lips. This is all my fault.

I stare longingly at her face, watching it and carefully outlining all the features of it. How her eyelashes settled perfectly on her eyelids, why am I just noticing how long they are?. My eyes move to her nose and I chuckle a bit, remembering our past memories in fifth grade where she had a booger hanging loosely on it and so everyone called her booger girl. I made sure the name didn't last till next week.

She might think I don't remember anything from our past but I do. I haven't forgotten and I never will. I could never.. she's so special, even if she doesn't know it.

I let my fingers trace her hairline as I study the freckles on her face. She didn't like them at a time, thought it made her weird. But I just thought it made her different. Just her hair could single her out from any crowd. Ginger.. Ginger..

I frown recalling that buzz cut kid and when he called her Ginger. I don't like that.. I don't like him being around her or making her giggle and shit. I want her to have other friends but not just him. I'm not jealous, don't get me wrong.. I just don't think he has good intentions towards her. I don't want him to hurt her.

I look back at the ice pack, it was starting to melt on the bed. So I pick it up then head back downstairs to get another pack. I go back upstairs with a new ice pack, walking slowly into the room so Abby won't wake up.

I take a look at her ankle before placing the new one on her leg causing her to twitch a little. The swelling on her ankle isn't as bad as it was before.. or am I just sugarcoating things?.

I sigh walking to the bathroom. I open the cabinet and search for an ointment. I pick the tube once I see it then walk back into the room. I take out the ice drying her leg with the sleeve of my hoodie before applying the ointment on her leg. I do it gently, trying my best not to wake her up.

I look up and when I see her eyes twitching I stop. Please don't wake up.. please don't wake up.. Abby stirs on the bed before settling to lie on her left side. I let out a sigh of relief not just because she didn't wake up but because she didn't lie on the right side where her ankle's busted.

I put the blanket over her and leave the room turning the lights off.

I walk out the house and to Abby's. Seems like she's going to sleep over so I might as well just tell her mum.

I place a knock on the door and wait for a while before Mrs Flenory opens the door.

"Hi Abby's mum", I say like my fifth grade self.