EXTRA [Tropes in Romance]

TROPES IN ROMANCETropes are recurring themes or plot devices in literature, and they are often used in romance novels to create familiar storylines that resonate with readers. Some common tropes in romance include

Enemies to Lovers: Two characters who start out disliking each other and eventually fall in love.

Friends to Lovers: Two characters who are already friends realize that they have romantic feelings for each other.

Second Chance Romance: Two characters who were previously in a romantic relationship reconnect and try again.

Forbidden Love: Two characters who are not supposed to be together (due to social status, family objections, etc.) fall in love. A sub-trope of this would be the best friend's sibling or sibling's best friend romance.

Fake Relationship: Two characters pretend to be in a romantic relationship for a specific reason (e.g. to make an ex jealous or to get out of an awkward situation) but end up falling for each other.

Love Triangle: A character is torn between two romantic interests.

Billionaire Romance: A wealthy and successful character falls in love with someone who is not as financially secure.

Opposites Attract: Two characters who are very different from each other fall in love.

Forced Proximity: Two characters who are forced to spend time together due to circumstances beyond their control (e.g. broken elevator, the only hotel room, a class project) and develop a bond.

Amnesia Romance: A character who has lost their memory falls in love with someone who helps them remember who they are.

Slow Burn Romance: Two characters slowly fall in love throughout the story with a lot of fun banter, teasing, and 'foreplay' along the way.

Small Town Romance: A romance that takes place in a small town where the community is closely knit and everyone knows everyone else's business.

The Bet: A romance between two characters develops after a bet is made that forces them to spend time together.

Age Gap: Two characters who don't share lived experiences or lifestyles due to their age difference but still overcome these obstacles and fall in love.

Holiday Romance: Two characters meet during the holiday season and fall in love throughout the festivities.

Secret Identity: One or both characters pretend to be someone or something else at the start of the romance and must navigate the perils of coming clean once the bonds of love have taken hold.