Chapter Five

Jaspers POV

227 years ago

I ran through the forest in a panic. My black fur protected me from the scalding summer heat. If I don't get there in time, I'll be done for. I breathe heavily and sprint back over to our land. I see the colors of the trees starting to turn a more toned-down blue, and I figure I must be near home.

I see smoke coming from afar, and I sprint faster.

"No, no, no!" I ran even faster, leaving paw prints on the ground. I run through the village of my pack. Some had houses, and most had caves. I passed a few pack members. They made sure to throw out their off-handed comments.

"Better get home in time, kid."

"Going to visit the humans isn't gonna give you the Alpha title!"

I ignored them and made my way through to the cave.

I see the caves coming up and run in only to tumble and fall, landing with my back against the wall, butt up. From upside down, I see my family sitting at the fire, eating in werewolf form. I smile awkwardly with a toothy grin.

"Sorry, I got caught up." I turn over and form into my werewolf. My father gets up in a sudden movement.

"Jasper, you need to stay on our side; being your age, you're going to get caught by those evil humans!" He grasps my shoulders and shakes me.

My sister, Ari, stares at my mother in disappointment. She then turns and shakes her head at me. My sister doesn't take sides, but she doesn't necessarily agree with anyone either.

"Father! I'm nearly fifteen! There is a whole world to see; you guys are stuck in this small village." I bounce around excitedly. "You have no idea the advances humans are making. I saw werewolves walking around with humans, together!" My father continues to shake me.

"Nonsense, young boy, enough." My father eyed me curiously as I sat down near the fire with them. He won't admit it, but he's just as intrigued by humans as I am.

My mother leaned down in my ear and said, "I will go with you next time, okay?" She pats my back, and I smile at her and nod. She speaks a little louder. "I think we should also start your alpha training soon, don't you think?" My sister rolls her eyes.

"Yes, yes, yes!

---

A few weeks later, I was finally able to go back to the human and shifter side. I had studied the maps nearby on "local" forest hiking trails.

The galaxy we live in is called Shina. The world we live in, Meruta, was created a few billion years ago. Humans only appeared 3 million years ago.

Exactly 2,874 years ago, humans and shifters went to war. Each side killed plenty, taking loved ones away.

But shifters killed more.

Humans started to go extinct.

This war finally ended three hundred and twenty years ago when a human and a shifter did the unthinkable.

They fell in love.

They announced it to the world, and the lovers hiding in the dark came together. They showed people that the deaths were not worth it.

Where I live, it is only shifters. If a human were to step foot in our territory, they would immediately be killed, no questions asked. But my territory hasn't seen the outside world. They stay trapped, saying 'it's for the greater good,' when in reality they are just scared.