Chapter Six

---

Jaspers POV

I saw Oliver storm out of the backyard and followed him, not caring about anything else. His friend went before me. When I got to the edge of the fence, I heard them yelling. I hid behind the wall but tried not to intervene. My mate was crying and trying to explain why his heart was breaking. I only sensed a little bit of sadness from his friend, which was throwing me off.

Just what is she?

By the end, my mate was leaving the driveway. He was sobbing uncontrollably. I didn't want to meet him under these circumstances, but there's no way in hell I was leaving him in this state. I snuck past his used-to-be friend and followed him. He stopped at the edge of the road.

"Hello there, Oliver," I didn't know what to say. Meeting your mate was meant to be loving, but I mostly felt scared. He whipped his head around in a sudden movement. I'm sure my voice was coddling his ears.

"Umm, hello?" He is understandably freaked out. Kaleb told us he was a human, so it was way harder for him to sense a mate unless they were close.

"Ummm, well, I don't mean to startle you, but you are my mate." I smell his scent very strongly. I want to touch him. He gasps and covers his face. "What's wrong?"

"I look horrible right now; please look away!" He throws a hand toward me and bends his head down into his lap. I chuckle and walk up slowly. I bend down to his level, tapping his head. He flinches, probably feeling the surge of my wolf through his skin.

"Are you in there?"

He peaks his head up at me just a little bit. I smile at him, and I see his smile lines increase.

"I'm sorry for eavesdropping; it's a wolf's worst habit." It was true—not to be cocky, but wolves are one of the smartest shifters. We live our lives with a schedule and never break it. We sense any enemy from miles away and tear them apart with a simple slash of toxins.

That being said, the one thing that can break our schedule and make us change is our mate.

"So you heard everything?" He shivers and hugs himself as a gust of wind hits us. I swore to myself for giving Dani my jacket earlier.

"Yes, how about we go to my car?" He nods to me, and we go back to the entrance. I help him into my car, putting his wheelchair in the back seat. I also grab a blanket from the back. I get in and wrap it around his body.

"Thank you." He blushes, and I notice his teary face.

I grab a tissue from my glove box. "Let me just..." I lean over and wipe his face. He smiles at me and lets out a sigh of relief.

"It seems like mates always come at the perfect time." I want to hug him, but I don't want to pressure him, so I instead pat him on the head. I sit back in the seat.

"Would you like me to drive you home?"

"Uhh, your home or..." He blushes deeply. I lift my eyebrow in surprise. This boy is much more dirty than Kaleb had said.

"That is up to you, my dear." He thinks about it for a second.

"Well, I know if I go home like this, everyone at Yellowstone will be worried, so can I come home with you?" He says it nervously and very quietly. If I wasn't a werewolf, I wouldn't have heard him.

"Absolutely, love," It comes out automatically, and we both glance at each other before staring ahead awkwardly. I start driving and realize we are an hour away from home.

This is going to be a long car ride.

---

Olivers POV